PDA

View Full Version : Levelling drill press

sam63
27th June 2005, 03:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I just bought a drill press and set it up last weekend. The grage floor is 5mm inclined in one direction. How crucial is this for the accuracy of drilling? IF it is, how do you go about leveling it?

Cheers
Sam

JDarvall
27th June 2005, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't think it make a difference......especially just 5mm......as long as its fixed and it doesn't feel awkward to use........goodluck

Simomatra
27th June 2005, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't think it make a difference......especially just 5mm......as long as its fixed and it doesn't feel awkward to use........goodluck
As apricotripper says 5mm is not much and it is only your posture thats out. If at all worried about it then put a 5mm shim undre the low side

Sam

arose62
27th June 2005, 05:25 PM
It's more important to have the drill press table square to the drill press quill.

Heck, I've seen web sites where guys have turned drill presses on their sides and backs to achieve something.

Anyway, to check the table you need a bit of wire. Bend it into a "down-across-down" shape, like half a capital H.

Put one end into the chuck, and wind the table up until the other end of the wire just touches.

DON'T TURN THE DRILL ON!

Turn the chuck by hand, and the wire tip should just touch the table as it rotates. If not, adjust the table until it does.

Cheers,
Andrew

simon c
27th June 2005, 06:08 PM
how do you go about leveling it?
I'd use a sledge-hammer, seems a bit of a waste though. :D

sam63
28th June 2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. It clarified what I was suspecting.

Cheers
Sam