PDA

View Full Version : Which wheel?

artme
26th August 2014, 09:16 AM
I have posted a couple of threads in the Sharpening Forum but thought I might get a better response here.

Firstly: I made my own version of the Robert Sorby Pro Edge system on my Hafco 12'disc/belt sander. Worked very well -to a point. I found that the gouge holding jig was rubbing on the belt when rolling the tool right ove for a fingernail grind. A problem I could not readily solve so I abandoned this.

Secondly: I have a Heligrind that I had previously used to give a great edge on bowl gouges. However this jig only does a standard grind. You simply cannot do a fingernail grind with it.

Thirdly: The Heligrind had a bar onto which a table and the gouge jig fit. I found that I could put the jig set-up I had made for the Sorby type gouge on this bar. This allows it to operate like a Tormek, but from the front and not above.

My problem is that I have a Blue Max Wheel. While I can get a great shape to the fingernail grind the wheel is too coarse and the edge on the wings ends up with a scallop. This seems to be due to the coarseness of the wheel. The edge is great but the scallop is problematic.

I am thinking of going to a pink or white alox wheel. The trouble is that a 120 grit pink wheel only comes at
25mm wide. A recessed 80 grit comes at 40mm wide.

I am wondering if 80 grit is fine enough to do the job and not leave a crumbling edge and therefor a scallop.

dai sensei
26th August 2014, 10:38 AM
Secondly: I have a Heligrind that I had previously used to give a great edge on bowl gouges. However this jig only does a standard grind. You simply cannot do a fingernail grind with it.

You turn the tube jig upside down, ie the sloping end towards the wheel and the bearing rides the sloping surface, it is made for a perfect fingernail grind :rolleyes:

Thirdly: The Heligrind had a bar onto which a table and the gouge jig fit. I found that I could put the jig set-up I had made for the Sorby type gouge on this bar. This allows it to operate like a Tormek, but from the front and not above.

Some jigs do fit the Heligrind bar, but the Heligrind jig fits the Tormek bar, so I use the Tormek bar for everything

My problem is that I have a Blue Max Wheel. While I can get a great shape to the fingernail grind the wheel is too coarse and the edge on the wings ends up with a scallop. This seems to be due to the coarseness of the wheel. The edge is great but the scallop is problematic.

I am thinking of going to a pink or white alox wheel. The trouble is that a 120 grit pink wheel only comes at
25mm wide. A recessed 80 grit comes at 40mm wide.

I am wondering if 80 grit is fine enough to do the job and not leave a crumbling edge and therefor a scallop.

I loved the Bluemax and it gave a great edge :?. I actually replaced my white wheel for it on my old grinder as it provides a low heat grind. The only reason I no longer have it is that the 1/2 speed grinder I have now doesn't suit the Bluemax wheel. I have a CBN fitted one end and a white wheel at the other now.

Cheers

Paul39
26th August 2014, 11:03 AM
Artme,

I have 8 inch white 120 grit alox wheels on my 1725 rpm grinder. They are one inch wide. It took a while to not run the bowl gouge off the wheel but I eventually got it.

After making a notch in the jig and the knob and a few skinned places on the side of the $80 bowl gouge.:oo:

I have the wolverine system with the platform on one side and the pocket for the bowl gouge jig on the other. I have other nasty grinders with course wheels for hogging off metal.

Mobyturns
27th August 2014, 08:33 AM
You turn the tube jig upside down, ie the sloping end towards the wheel and the bearing rides the sloping surface, it is made for a perfect fingernail grind :rolleyes:

Some jigs do fit the Heligrind bar, but the Heligrind jig fits the Tormek bar, so I use the Tormek bar for everything

Cheers

I agree with DaiSensei about most of it except the Heligrind will not produce a "fingernail" grind on bowl gouges very well. The fingernail grind on the Heligrind is more for spindle & detail gouges.

artme
27th August 2014, 03:25 PM
I agree with DaiSensei about most of it except the Heligrind will not produce a "fingernail" grind on bowl gouges very well. The fingernail grind on the Heligrind is more for spindle & detail gouges.

Yes Moby. Had not got around to answering Neil yet so I am glad for your reply. I was always under the impression that the helical side of the jig was for spindle/ detail gouges.

I checked out the Heligrind with one of my bowl gouges and could not see me getting a grind like the one I have managed on the system I have now set up.

I checked my Blue Max wheel and found that I needed to true it up. That may account for the scallop that developed on the wing of a couple of my gouges.

Will let you know the progress I make.

Mobyturns
27th August 2014, 08:41 PM
I was always under the impression that the helical side of the jig was for spindle/ detail gouges.

In the Heligrind manual it only mentions "To sharpen a bowl gouge, clamp the gouge into the rotating sleeve with the guide pin on the rear face of the HELI-GRIND jig (flat rotation)."

dai sensei
27th August 2014, 09:21 PM
I thought you wanted a fingernail grind, hence assumed you wanted it on a detail/spindle gouge, not on a bowl gouge. Since when do we put a fingernail grind on a bowl gouge :?.

Are you talking about a swept back grind on the bowl gouge? If so, yes the Heligrind is not the tool to use

NeilS
31st August 2014, 09:58 PM
.... the Heligrind will not produce a "fingernail" grind on bowl gouges very well.

Agreed.

I thought you wanted a fingernail grind, hence assumed you wanted it on a detail/spindle gouge, not on a bowl gouge. Since when do we put a fingernail grind on a bowl gouge :?.

Hmmmm.... since Roy Child developed the modern bowl gouge flute profile in 1978.

Call it Irish, Celtic, Ellsworth or wheelbarrow, all bowl gouge grinds (other than straight across) are variations of the fingernail grind.

If you buy a Thompson (or a Galser before that), D-way, Henry Taylor Superflute, Hamlet Masterflute, Robert Sorby, Crown Ellsworth, and many others, that bowl gouge will come ready with a 'swept back' grind, which is some variation of the fingernail grind.

Some makers even call it a fingernail grind.

http://www.d-waytools.com/images/tools-gouges/bowl-gouge-lg.jpg

http://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/chisels.html

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/129/1704/Robert-Sorby-M2-HSS-Fingernail-Grind-Bowl-Gouge

The default grind for a bowl gouge usually mirrors the flute profile. i.e. Same profile looking along the flute as looking down on the grind. And, that profile will look like somebody's fingernail... :U

Turners then modify the profile from there and may even give it a name, but unless your name is Liam O'Neill, Michael O'Donnell or David Ellsworth, let's just call it your preferred fingernail grind.

Roy Child's article (http://www.peterchild.co.uk/info1/sflute.htm) on his superflute profile.

Tim the Timber Turner
1st September 2014, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=NeilS;1802759] but unless your name is Liam O'Neill, QUOTE]

Speaking if Liam O'Neil.

His son is getting married to an Adelaide girl next February.

While in Adelaide for the wedding he will be conducting a 2 day demonstration as a guest of the Northern Turners.

After the demonstration we will be auctioning off the "Irish Grind" gouges he will use while here.

He will also be presenting his lecture on how the Peace Bowl was instrumental in changing the course of 800 years of Irish history.

PM me for further information.

Cheers
Tim:)

NeilS
3rd September 2014, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=NeilS;1802759] but unless your name is Liam O'Neill, QUOTE]

Speaking if Liam O'Neil.

His son is getting married to an Adelaide girl next February.

While in Adelaide for the wedding he will be conducting a 2 day demonstration as a guest of the Northern Turners.

After the demonstration we will be auctioning off the "Irish Grind" gouges he will use while here.

He will also be presenting his lecture on how the Peace Bowl was instrumental in changing the course of 800 years of Irish history.

PM me for further information.

Cheers
Tim:)

Getting Liam O'Neill here for a demo workshop is quite a coup.

He sits well up there in the pantheon of woodturners, IMO.

Well done, Tim.

Osbojo
4th September 2014, 10:56 AM
Tim,

Will Northern be inviting 'foreigners' along. I for one would be willing to 'suffer' a weekend in Adelaide to attend the O'Neill demo!!

Os.

Tim the Timber Turner
4th September 2014, 09:15 PM
Yes Os
Even Victorians are welcome.:2tsup:
As long as you agree to go back home straight after the event:D

Cheers
Tim