PDA

View Full Version : Ply advice

brettdel
19th February 2001, 10:02 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about ply ? The better half wants a new vanity built out of ply - I was thinking of a tile top on a sheet of FC board and the body a combination of selves and cupboards.
Does anyone have any advice?

Is there such a thing as a clear faced ply?, I know you can get it with one faced filled and sanded.

Do you think the extra cost of marine ply is worth it - or just go with a contruction ply (is construction ply known as CD ply?) The bathroom is well vented with both large windows and a vented extraction fan so I don't think moisture should be toooo much of a problem

TIA
brett

STEPHEN MILLER
25th February 2001, 10:51 AM
If using ply unless using marine ply or water proof ply it does not matter how well ventilated your bath room is, moisture
"it does get in " unless all edges ,surfaces are sealed first. Water around base is the best place for moisture to enter items made for bathrooms laundrys etc.
Steve

BI
26th February 2001, 04:45 PM
If the look she wants is ply like on the edges there are some edge strips that look like plywood that can easily be glued to HMR MDF or particleboard and it will by cheaper and easier to work with than marine grade plywood. You can then get any type of veneer on the surface which will give you a better finish. Typically a veneered 8 by 4 sheet of 19mm HMR particle board is around $34 a square metre(plus bloody GST).

antonylord
5th March 2008, 02:42 PM
is construction ply known as CD ply

I know this is an old thread but I was chasing the same answer and here it is :

http://www.timber.org.au/NTEP/menu.asp?id=137

CD = Structural plywood flooring

It seems a lot of the ply at Bunnings is CD...

Cheers, Antony.

Bassa
21st March 2008, 09:13 AM
Using ply in potentially wet area will give some grief, if you use construction ply, seal each peice using a diluted epoxy mix. You can buy a epoxy based sealer but I just buy epoxy resin, same as used for fibre glass and dilute it down 25%. You can then paint or varnish over the sealed surface. This will keep the ply straight and keep out the water-moisture. Good luck