PDA

View Full Version : Worth the trouble ??

Phily
28th August 2014, 10:41 PM
323742I received a call offering lengths of timber cut yesterday - so its very wet. Its also small - see the cork in the photo. But the colour is sensational (photo does't do it justice). The caller has no idea of what type of tree it is. Any ideas and any thoughts on whether it is worth the effort to save it (i.e. stop it splitting)?

Christos
28th August 2014, 11:10 PM
My personal opinion, yes.

Even it is cracks you might be able to get plugs out of it. Are they all this size / width?

Paul39
29th August 2014, 04:53 AM
Yes. Cut off a piece the length of the diameter, split down the middle by sawing or with a wedge, and rough out a bowl.

That will give you an idea of how well it cuts and how good it looks. Make the wall thickness 10 - 15% of the diameter.

Wrap in 7 layers of newspaper and let it sit for about 6 months, then finish. You could also soak in half water and half hand dish washing liquid for a week, or boil for a couple of hours, also followed by wrapping in paper and waiting about 3 months.

For boiling I use a slow cooker from a second hand store, and let it simmer overnight.

The above techniques are supposed to keep the bowl from splitting. They mostly work. With all of the various ways used, some split and some don't.

You could also finish it in one go and let it warp however it wants, then sand a flat on the bottom.

See my recent post on using a heat gun to wax blanks.

hughie
29th August 2014, 09:53 AM
If the colour is good definitely worth considering. Look at this is just over 110mm in diameter, small is good sometimes

Phily
29th August 2014, 11:01 AM
Great replies, thanks guys - and nice work Hughie! I was going to say that the pieces are too small for bowls until I saw the photo. Though I think in this case if I split it down the middle I'll need a micro lathe to turn anything :U Boiling the timber to dry it is a new one for me - I can't even imagine what the chemistry is behind that technique. A bugger of a job drying a large burl :D. I'll definitely have a look at using a gun but have to fly - just had a call re another source of timber - this one sounds really good. I'll post when I get back (need to be quick on this one).
Cheers
Phil

turnerted
29th August 2014, 05:25 PM
Looks like it could be juniper.Purple red heartwood and a shaggy bark and shape like cypress? If so definatly a keeper.
Ted

Phily
29th August 2014, 06:50 PM
Ted, spot on! I called the neighbour and suggested Juniper - it jogged her memory - yep exactly.
I've just filled my trailer with large diameter and very gnarly black walnut. Best free score ever!!!

powderpost
29th August 2014, 08:18 PM
Very difficult to not accept an offering with colour like that. Small pieces like that I usually hid in a box of sawdust or shavings till dry.

small is good sometimes
I can relate an agree with that... :2tsup: :) Nice hollow form to Hughie... :2tsup:

Jim

Phily
30th August 2014, 06:40 PM
Fantastic idea - one thing that I have no shortage of is sawdust !!
Seems I won the Lotto of free wood this month. More Japanese Cedar than I (and even Hughie) could handle. Juniper. Black Walnut. Chestnut. And then this morning whilst having breakfast at our local cafe "I've just talked to someone who is about to cut down a large cherry due to a fungal infection - would you be interested?". All I need is a tardis to store it all! (though I suspect that Hughie will be keen to make another trip to the Highlands):U

hughie
30th August 2014, 07:26 PM
Fantastic idea - one thing that I have no shortage of is sawdust !!
Seems I won the Lotto of free wood this month. More Japanese Cedar than I (and even Hughie) could handle. Juniper. Black Walnut. Chestnut. And then this morning whilst having breakfast at our local cafe "I've just talked to someone who is about to cut down a large cherry due to a fungal infection - would you be interested?". All I need is a tardis to store it all! (though I suspect that Hughie will be keen to make another trip to the Highlands):U

:U a very good suspicion... lol might bring a few pieces down to swap and make room at my shed.

Phily
30th August 2014, 07:35 PM
Deal!:U

NeilS
30th August 2014, 08:14 PM
Ted, spot on! I called the neighbour and suggested Juniper - it jogged her memory - yep exactly.
I've just filled my trailer with large diameter and very gnarly black walnut. Best free score ever!!!

...:2tsup:

Pat
30th August 2014, 08:50 PM
Phily, 2 things, you are a lucky bugger and I'm interested in the Black Walnut, swap or buy.

PM me if interested.