PDA

View Full Version : Is a cyclone necessary

boban
27th June 2005, 09:09 PM
Since you guys told me to build a humpy I have looked through the board for posts about cyclones and read Bill Pentz's articles.

I was wondering why I would need to build a cyclone if the dangerous particles are removed to an external area (the humpy)? From there I can pump the unfiltered air outside as it will not affect anyone within a 100m radius.

From what I've read the cyclone required more grunt than a straight extractor.

Now am I missing anything?

BTW I will build a mini cyclone (the "Davy Cyclone") for my vacuum as the vacuum will reside in the shop.

Grunt
27th June 2005, 09:19 PM
A cyclone removes most of the dust particals from the air before it clogs up your filter.
If you are venting outside there is no real need for a cyclone. Remember that you, your kids, your nieghbours, the cows and the sheep willl be breathing in very fine wood dust if the wind is blowing in the right direction.

boban
27th June 2005, 10:45 PM
I hear what your saying grunt but by the time it gets to the cows, sheep, etc isn't it at such a point that the concentrations are so low that it isn't harmful. Surely it must be a hell of a lot better than what I am doing to myself in the shed with a standard dustie.

Is this wrong and I dont mean in a moral sense.

Grunt
27th June 2005, 10:52 PM
Go for it. I would if I could. I'm on half an acre and my neighbours are just a little too close. With the wind we get in Romsey I probably don't have to worry about it either except for me dogs.

Grunt