PDA

View Full Version : How are gable finials attached?

rossnroller
5th September 2014, 01:23 PM
Hi folks.

We have an old federation style house with a finial on the gable at the front. The finial has developed a sideways lean and looks like it is in danger of falling off. I'm not good with heights, so haven't been up there to check it out close-hand. With binoculars, I can see that it has come apart from the gable except for an area of remaining contact at the base, but I can't see how it is fitted on to the gable. There are no bolts in sight.

Could someone please explain how these old finials are attached to the gable, and how to restore a leaning one to vertical position? Is it possible there has been some rotting of wood in the area of the join/socket/whatever - sorta looks like this could be the case, although the finial itself seems solid, and just in need of some paint.

Cheers!
Ross

Simplicity
5th September 2014, 01:42 PM
Sorry to say.
But most off the ones I've come across in repairing facia boards have been just nailed or screwed on nothing fancy at all.

Christos
5th September 2014, 03:07 PM
Rossnroller; Welcome to the forum.

rossnroller
5th September 2014, 05:43 PM
Sorry to say.
But most off the ones I've come across in repairing facia boards have been just nailed or screwed on nothing fancy at all.

Thanks, Simplicity. I guess I'll see the nails or screws when/if I venture on to the roof and get up close and personal with our drastically leaning finial. From the side, it looked like there may have been a wood joint of some sort that has rotted away, but from what you say, probably not.

Cheers
Ross

rossnroller
5th September 2014, 05:44 PM
Rossnroller; Welcome to the forum.
Thanks, Christos.

Cheers
Ross

chuck1
5th September 2014, 11:27 PM
Even today the gable ends are glued and screwed, 515 glue.

rwbuild
6th September 2014, 12:40 AM
Even today the gable ends are glued and screwed, 515 glue.

Don't bet on it! 99% would be either skew nailed or a couple of screws.

If it is a genuine period federation house then the finial was fixed to the gable rafters first then the barge boards fitted to the finial and either a capping board over the edge of the barge or the barge scribed to the roof tiles.

Master Splinter
6th September 2014, 02:04 AM
If the finial was applied in the last 15 years - 90% chance that it's nailgunned, 10% screwed.
15-40 years - 80% nailgunned, 10% hand nailed, 10% other.
40-80 years - "What's a finial?"
80-100 years - "Ooh, that's so turn of the century, I think you'd be better off getting an electrical light bulb for your house, they are all the rage now."

wolften
6th September 2014, 07:46 AM
...like everyone says, it will be nailed or screwed.
Either way I'll bet that wood rot has set in at both the timber barge and finial, with the nails or screws definitely rusted out.
There are a number of ways to repair this, you'll have to get up there and suss it out.
Or get a mate to get up there if you are unsure of yourself.
In either case be safe and watch out for power cables.

Simplicity
6th September 2014, 09:38 AM
You may find some useful information on my web site to look at
www.simplicitybydesign

chuck1
6th September 2014, 10:06 AM
Don't bet on it! 99% would be either skew nailed or a couple of screws.

If it is a genuine period federation house then the finial was fixed to the gable rafters first then the barge boards fitted to the finial and either a capping board over the edge of the barge or the barge scribed to the roof tiles.
Just to clarify the ones we prefab out of losp and merbau, losp screw/nail holes are bogged up and merbau plugged once on site your probably right! As its up to builders for final installment! :)

rossnroller
10th September 2014, 07:27 PM
Thanks a lot for all the replies, guys.

Suspect wolften is on the button re wood rot + nails or screws rusted out.

The finial is close to where electric wires connect with the house. Given this, and my height phobia, I'm starting to think this ain't a DIY job I should tackle.

Would I need a carpenter, or handyman, or ...? It is definitely an old house (30s, I think) in Federation style, and the finial has been there since before we moved in 25 years ago. Assuming rot has set in, is this a complicated job, and approx how much should I expect to pay? Would appreciate your advice on this.

Cheers
Ross

Simplicity
10th September 2014, 08:31 PM
Hi Ross
My company does this sort of repair all the time but I'm Melbourne based.
If you want to pm that's fine
If your power cable needs to be removed and replaced its expensive last one we organized was over $1200 just for the power disconnect and re connect twenty min job ???
Not my bill as well
Matt

rossnroller
11th September 2014, 04:30 PM
Thanks, Matt. The electrical wires are off to one side and I doubt they'd be a factor in repairing the finial. So, in this case, approx how much would your company charge for a job like this, assuming there is wood rot and rusted out screws?

May I ask what sort of company you have? I don't even know where to start looking to get someone to repair the finial.

Cheers
Ross

Simplicity
11th September 2014, 10:05 PM
Hi Ross
May be better to pm
We do a lot of facia repairs replace
But there is a few factors to consider main one is height
Ie do u need scaffold
Feel free to send some pics obviously I'm not going to quote you it's bit far for me being Melbourne based

rossnroller
13th September 2014, 12:31 PM
Hi Ross
May be better to pm
We do a lot of facia repairs replace
But there is a few factors to consider main one is height
Ie do u need scaffold
Feel free to send some pics obviously I'm not going to quote you it's bit far for me being Melbourne based

OK, Simplicity - will take some pics during the weekend and PM you. Thanks for your willingness to assist.

Cheers
Ross

Simplicity
13th September 2014, 01:20 PM
Not a problem Ross

Artline
1st March 2016, 05:02 AM
We've just had the finials replaced on some townhouses.
I spoke to the suppliers and it doesn't look like there are any hard and fast rules about how to attach them.
The photos show how they were installed originally , how they rotted away over 15 or so years and how they are attached now. Originally, the lower fixing was at the shaft of the finial (presumably for strength and visual appearance) but now it is attached at the ball!! Does anyone know if attaching it to the ball makes any sense - seems to defeat the purpose of having a shape on the lower end as it can hardly be seen. They were replaced by a painter and not a qualified carpenter.

. 372947372948372949

ian
1st March 2016, 06:29 AM
We've just had the finials replaced on some townhouses.
I spoke to the suppliers and it doesn't look like there are any hard and fast rules about how to attach them.
The photos show how they were installed originally , how they rotted away over 15 or so years and how they are attached now. Originally, the lower fixing was at the shaft of the finial (presumably for strength and visual appearance) but now it is attached at the ball!! Does anyone know if attaching it to the ball makes any sense - seems to defeat the purpose of having a shape on the lower end as it can hardly be seen. They were replaced by a painter and not a qualified carpenter.

372947 372948 372949
visually, the ball should be below the bottom rail.

Looks like your painter has bought a finial that sort of fits.
It's probably made of untreated pine -- as was the original, by the extent of the rot.

should you worry?
You'll probably need to replace it within 10 years, but if the town houses are rentals, or are being readied for sale ...

If a carpenter had one the replacement I'd definitely insist on it being fixed, but it was your painter who presumably was looking for a quick fix ...