PDA

View Full Version : Next time you want to complain about your conditions...

Evanism
6th September 2014, 02:33 AM
This dude has almost nothing!

Magic!

http://youtu.be/wnv0DAR_gWA

george mavridis
6th September 2014, 11:04 AM
Can you imagine all the do-gooder OHS guys trying to shut him down.

A Duke
6th September 2014, 12:06 PM
Hi,
Having only one tool must be the greatest time saver. Most turners here would spend more time selecting from their collection of gouges, scrapers, parting tools and skews etc., and then for the carving the collection of knives and chisels our carvers have to select from would be even greater.
:U
Regards

tore
6th September 2014, 05:30 PM
And he is not even wearing steel cap boots :o:o:o:o:no:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2014, 06:35 PM
I admire his ability... but suspect he's going to pay for stooping over like that in his old age. :wince:

Christos
6th September 2014, 10:14 PM
An interesting video, thank you for sharing.

lovetoride
8th September 2014, 09:52 PM
Very impressive. Bit scary at the beginning when he is using the chisel against his hand and looking away!

Paul39
9th September 2014, 03:19 AM
I have seen a photo in a early 1900s National Geographic of a Tibetan turner using an all wood lathe, wood spindle running in wood bearings, wood tool rest.

The spindle extended into a rushing stream with a set of paddles in the water. Three sharpened nails were driven into the working end of the spindle where a bowl blank was driven on with a club. Then a tea bowl was turned, inside and out at one mounting. It was a specific bowl lathe.

I have looked in vain for the photo on line to post here.

Mobyturns
9th September 2014, 07:47 AM
Paul, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtcMlEwhBGE shows a bowl turned on a pole lathe between centers, not quite a water lathe. The water lathe would at least have continuous motion.

Christos
9th September 2014, 08:40 PM
..... The water lathe would at least have continuous motion.

I guess if it was raining heavy you get a faster speed. :U

Mobyturns
9th September 2014, 08:49 PM
I guess if it was raining heavy you get a faster speed. :U

Could be a multi-speed water wheel lathe - with different gates for differing heads of water. :rolleyes:

powderpost
9th September 2014, 09:07 PM
I can admire that mans skill. It is also interesting that he used only one tool, a skew chisel. What is also interesting is that he used a cutting method, no scraping. As well note there was no sanding or glass scraping to get a smooth finish. Not even sure that his centers lined up "correctly". One foot secured the tailstock the second foot worked the chisel, one hand held the tool and the second hand provided the power. Good time for a fly to investigate his ear????

Some serious lessons to be learned from that video.

Jim