PDA

View Full Version : Down Under Turn Around 2014.

issatree
9th September 2014, 02:50 AM
Hi to all Woodturners,
Well, it is that time again. Can't wait to go to Cowes, Vic. again. We get so well looked after, & it could be no better.
This is on Fri.12th, Sat.13th. & Sun.14th. Sept. 2014.
Not supposed to be there earlier than 1.30pm. Fri.
Caroline, Bruce Giulio & Sue are a Great Combination, & they always have a couple of helpers.
So Aprox. 130 People, 75 Lathes, 2 Sleeps, 6 Meals, & the Morning & Afternoon Teas, are out of this World.
If you have a Turning Problem, you just ask, as there is Giulio, Vic, Ken, Paul, Bruce, & the list goes on. Carrolls will be there, & I think Neil, Pauline with their u Beaut Products, Wood to be bought from a couple of Suppliers, Well made Turning Tools as well, Raffle, Silent Auction, has to be seen to be believed. Usually, the Gym stays open till 11.30pm +-, & opens a bit after 6am.
Cleanup starts about 11.45am. Sun.
If you think you might go, I think the List maybe Full by now, but you could leave your name on a short list as sometimes there are circumstances where at the last moment they can't go, & you could be in.
You could leave you Details with Caroline & Bruce on 0359 567 300.
Hope to see quite a few Forumites again this Year

Pat
9th September 2014, 05:07 AM
I'm making the pilgrimage . . . :U

jefferson
9th September 2014, 07:54 AM
Me too!

george mavridis
9th September 2014, 08:10 AM
This is one time I wish I still lived in melbourne

dai sensei
9th September 2014, 10:14 AM
Sorry Guys but I couldn't hang around in Melb any longer, plus both shoulders are having troubles, so I am home again in Qld to try and get well enough for Procerpine although even that is in doubt :C.

Have fun though as I am sure you will, maybe another year :-

Beesncheese
9th September 2014, 10:36 AM
Aww sounds great, new to woodturning, will remember for next time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

issatree
9th September 2014, 10:45 AM
Hi Pat, Jeff,
Please say Hello when you are settled.
I wear a White Chemical Suit with Beard & Glasses.
They'll all jump on this. If you need any assistance, just say so, & I don't Turn all the time, so my Lathe is available, just by asking. Do you have a Lady coming Pat, as the Ladies check out all the Shops in Cowes.
Will be good to see you again Jeff & I take it your Lady is coming as well.

jefferson
9th September 2014, 11:56 AM
Yes, Lewis, will be down with the wife again.

And I will drop in to say hello - that white jump suit makes you stand out in the crowd. Weather forecast not good Friday setting up!

Treecycle
9th September 2014, 01:52 PM
I wear a White Chemical Suit with Beard & Glasses.

Never seen one of those :roll:

Jim Carroll
9th September 2014, 05:32 PM
We will be there also, for us a relaxing weekend catching up with everyone :2tsup:

Christos
9th September 2014, 07:21 PM
....I wear a White Chemical Suit with Beard & Glasses.......

There are so many replies to this but I sure you have heard them all. Just want to know where you got your Groucho Glasses from?
:U

issatree
9th September 2014, 07:49 PM
Well, it wasn't good grammar, was it.
I have an almost White Beard that goes with the White Suit, but I also wear Glasses.
Good to hear your Lady will be there Pat, & the ladies that have been going, will look after Her.
Beesncheese, we have had 2 Turners coming over from Tassie, & I know 1 is here Wed. as a friend is to pick him up from the Ferry.
Starting to pack Wed. Arvo. & will head off Fri. 10am. It is a bit over 200 K's. for us, & we will not stop till we get there.
As usual, it will be good to see you all, as there is bound to be some new faces too. All the more the merrier.

smiife
9th September 2014, 08:46 PM
Hi guys,
Hope you all have lots of fun,,,, wish i was going:~
don, t forget we need lots of photos........

Christos
9th September 2014, 08:47 PM
And the photos.

Don't forget the photos.

Pat
9th September 2014, 09:30 PM
Lewis, i am looking forward to my second DUTA and my better half is looking forward to a house staying clean and free of shavings for a week or so:;

brendan stemp
10th September 2014, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately, this weekend always coincides with the Horsham District League Football Grand Final and for the last 5 years the team we follow has had one or more of their sides playing. The same for this year. I will only wish for their demise so I can go when Richmond starts to do better because I have at least one team that is bringing me joy.

jefferson
10th September 2014, 08:15 PM
That's a shame, Brendan. It would have been good to catch up and have a chat. We'll try to get to you event next year, assuming we are welcome!

dai sensei
13th September 2014, 11:24 PM
I hope someone is taking lots of photos :v:

ubeaut
15th September 2014, 12:29 AM
Just returned after yet another very enjoyable weekend DUTA. Had to leave early today as we had another commitment but not before winning the piece I was bidding on in the silent auction (sorry Pat). Unfortunately we had to rush off without saying our goodbye's to more than a couple of people, so goodbye to those who we missed and a big thank you from Pauline and myself to Caroline and Bruce, Guilio and Sue, plus David and all the other helpers who go to make it such a wonderful weekend.

Did a bit of wheeling and dealing and will be doing something special at the Melb T&WWWShow next month. Also had many people testing a new product we may be launching at the show, with lots of very favourable comment coming back to me.

Announcement soon in the Timber & Working With Wood Show Forum.

Thank you again to all who once again made the weekend such a good one.

Come on folks any photo's would be appreciated. I didn't take any but I did see a number of cameras being flashed around the place so there must be some out there somewhere.

Cheers - Neil :2tsup:

Treecycle
15th September 2014, 02:07 PM
It's now the 15th and still no photos. Looks like it didn't really happen this year:no::no::no:

issatree
16th September 2014, 01:43 AM
Hi All,
Hopefully tomorrow.

325422 325425 325424 325432 325429 325426 325423 325433 325430 325427 325431 325428

ubeaut
16th September 2014, 01:37 PM
Some photo's are up now.

Mobyturns
16th September 2014, 01:53 PM
Good to see some pics. A few mates in them & good to see them still kicking about enjoying themselves. :2tsup:

Treecycle
16th September 2014, 02:02 PM
It looks like it was a very active environment with all those lathes scattered everywhere and lots of fun to be had. I wll have to keep it on the radar for next year.
Good to see Ned Kelly turned up for a photo in No.7! Obviously been a while since I have seen you Jim:o

george mavridis
16th September 2014, 02:06 PM
For those of us new to turning, some names with the photos would help put faces to names.http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Christos
16th September 2014, 02:47 PM
....Good to see Ned Kelly turned up for a photo in No.7!.....

It was my recollection during our history class at school, Ned never had a white bread. Could it be his cousin.

Jim Carroll
16th September 2014, 05:50 PM
Photo 1 Overview
Photo 2 Neil & Pauline Ellis, Dot Harper Issatrees good lady
Photo 3 Overview
Photo 4 Tamara { Nathans girlfriend}
Photo 5 Harry Hoskin, John Wheeler
Photo 6 Fred, Herb Betz, Tamara, Esther Dennis
Photo 7 Jim & Irene
Photo 8 Robert Brown, ?, Caroline the Boss, ?, ?
Photo 9 Jeff Leslie { Jefferson} Ken Wraight
Photo 10 Young lad Stutchbery
Photo 11 Kelvin
Photo 12 Group photo

Unsure of the ? names

dai sensei
16th September 2014, 07:36 PM
Great shots, especially the group shot, a good large bunch :2tsup:.

Hope there are more to come :rolleyes:

george mavridis
16th September 2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks Jim for the names.

robert brown
16th September 2014, 11:47 PM
SOME MORE PHOTOS OF A GREAT WEEKEND.

jefferson
17th September 2014, 10:02 AM
DUTA was as always a great event. I had a few hiccups with my lathe stand (new, too high) and safety prescription glasses (arm falling off) that Harry Dennis of Albury-Wodonga Woodcrafters fixed (a duckie board and some 1 1/2 times glasses).

The dust got to me badly by the Saturday night, but I got a lot in before then. I will be seeking advice on the Trend air shield and its competitors separately. Too many power sanders for my liking.

I really enjoyed turning on my new VL150 and the lessons from particularly Guilio Marcolongo and Ken Wraight which were first class.

I also spent less than a grand with CWS, so the cook was happy.

When I first started going to DUTA there were a lot of big lathes (and faceshields) but this time there was only a lone VL175. No UFOs either, though the odd catch or two.

A few faces were sorely missed, notably Vic and Bev Wood (who is recovering well).

It was also great to catch up with old faces and new friends.

Mobyturns
17th September 2014, 11:01 AM
DUTA was as always a great event. I had a few hiccups with my lathe stand (new, too high)

Jeff, Max Synon gave me a bit of a run down on the issues you had with the stand. I cut down my original Jet mini lathe stand to suit the height of my new VL150. I just took about 175 mm from the top and dropped the cross bar accordingly re-drilling holes to suit. The VL150 is mounted on some 18mm ply that is reinforced with another layer of 18 mm ply under the bolt hold down points. It still maintains about 75 mm adjustment with the top arrangement. Feels good so far.

Treecycle
17th September 2014, 02:19 PM
Looks like there was a good turnout of the Werribee boys.

issatree
18th September 2014, 02:17 AM
Bump

Pat
19th September 2014, 09:37 PM
Finally home.

Neil, you @#$%%## sniped me at the last to get that :q

Robby, thanks for the pic of the cannon, that's on the to do list, or at least my interpretation of.

Thanks to the organisers of DUTA for another good weekend, made even better when I won entry into next years event :;

Thanks to my fellow attendees, for a informative and lively weekend of turning, talking and fun.