PDA

View Full Version : Remember that Japanese Cedar?

Phily
10th September 2014, 10:34 PM
Nearly broke my back wielding the chainsaw. The timber was so wet that it was like having a shower (in strongly perfumed water), so it took an age in the microwave to dry just one block. After a bit of experimentation to preserve the heart wood colour this was the final result - not perfect but I have a ton more of the timber so plenty more practice material !

tea lady
10th September 2014, 11:59 PM
Well done. Looks good. I love holes. And great figure. My Jap cedar is all orange now. But still nice figure all the same. I wonder what yours will do over time.

Phily
11th September 2014, 12:15 AM
I have to confess a bit of cheating (if it is). I matched some stain to the original colour of the freshly cut timber and then when dry, sanded it back to leave a combination of the natural and artificial colours. To the casual observer it looks genuine, and hopefully the stain won't fade.

Christos
11th September 2014, 01:09 AM
Nice piece.

You might need to take a photographic record over a period of time to see if it does change.

Phily
11th September 2014, 09:55 AM
Not a bad idea - I haven't used this stain before

hughie
12th September 2014, 06:39 PM
looking good Phil. :2tsup:

Phily
12th September 2014, 07:27 PM
Cheers Hughie, I'm interested to see what you come up with with your blocks of JC - send me a pic.:U

tea lady
13th September 2014, 06:13 PM
I have to confess a bit of cheating (if it is). I matched some stain to the original colour of the freshly cut timber and then when dry, sanded it back to leave a combination of the natural and artificial colours. To the casual observer it looks genuine, and hopefully the stain won't fade.:U Ah. Good solution.