PDA

View Full Version : door handles

reybec
29th June 2005, 10:44 AM
i was wondering if anybody knows if there is a standard height for a door handle on an internal door

if so what is it?

thanks

bitingmidge
29th June 2005, 10:52 AM
There is no standard.

In the old days, they were 1200 or higher.

Many are at 900 these days (or 1000), but I like to stick them exactly half-door height, and light switches to match.

At half height, you can fit all the doors off the same, so no chance of getting one upside down!

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

silentC
29th June 2005, 11:11 AM
'pends on whether or not you want the midgets to be able to open them or not ;)

bitingmidge
29th June 2005, 11:15 AM
'pends on whether or not you want the midgets to be able to open them or not ;)

Just use lever handles and fit the latches upside down.... that fixes the little buggers.

P

:D :D :D

Ashore
29th June 2005, 01:15 PM
Maybe not midgets but when children and or grandkids having the handles a bit higher will stop them from opening entry doors and toilet doors until they are old enough.

Oh how they love to drop keys , mobils, walletts in toilets

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="MARGIN: auto 6.75pt; 355pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-table-lspace: 9.0pt; mso-table-rspace: 9.0pt; mso-table-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-table-anchor-horizontal: margin; mso-table- center; mso-table- 64.3pt; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 0cm 0cm 0cm" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=473 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR style=" 11.25pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER- #ece9d8; PADDING- 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER- #ece9d8; PADDING- 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; 11.25pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER- #ece9d8; PADDING- 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER- #ece9d8; PADDING- 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; 11.25pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">The trouble with life is there's no background music.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

reybec
29th June 2005, 02:30 PM
thanks for the help
the handles on the old doors was 1350 high which i thought was a bit high
so i've made the new ones 1200 high

journeyman Mick
29th June 2005, 06:44 PM
Gotta disagree (partly) with Midge on this one :p . There is a standard of sorts for:
a) hollow core doors, and
b) doors hung in steel frames.

For (a) it's whatever height they put the miniscule lock mounting block in at. They used to give you a fair size block in the doors which allowed you to place the handle anywhere up to 150mm either side of the centre. Nowadays you get a block that gives you about 20mm of play either way. :mad:

For (b) it's whatever height the striker recess is moulded in at. ;)

Obviously this doesn't help you with your question, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway. On doors with midrails, even the cheap hollow core doors with the moulded mdf faces that are meant to look like a frame and panel door, I reckon the handle should be in the centre of the mid rail.

Mick