PDA

View Full Version : Skew's "Jewelery Box"

Skew's_Girl
11th September 2014, 02:24 PM
Skew's working down in Sydney at a joinery these days. This is one of the recent custom jobs ordered by a client.
It's a "Jewelery box" for inside a safe. The carcass and facing is Mountain Ash, while the internals are clear Tas. Myrtle.
The only designs given were pictures of a similar box and some outside dimensions. Skew had to figure out the rest.

I'm naturally very proud of what he's done but the downside of building for a client [as opposed to building for yourself], is you have to follow direction exactly, even when you have ideas of how to really make the item Pop. The myrtle though clear is beautifully figured. The ash is lovely but in the volume seen the grain becomes a bit of a wash and the inside is going to be velvet lined/flocked.

Were Skew to make the box for himself, he would have done the outside frame of the face of the box in the myrtle to really show it off, used less ash giving the creamy ash more identity and used something more common for the inside where it's going to be flocked. It feels a shame to flock over figured myrtle.

The drawer faces have pieces of tape for the moment in lieu of handles. Fittings are yet to be installed. There are no dovetails just screws, time was unfortunately of the essence and none of the edges will really be seen once the drawer is installed anyway. The wood doesn't have a finish on it yet. Skew sanded it to a mirror finish just on the wood itself. You can see the reflections of the tape on the surface :)

We may not be able to get fully finished pictures depending on how quickly the client grabs the box. But we'll try.

Christos
11th September 2014, 03:25 PM
I guess the main purpose of making something for the client is to have their items organized. I like the way this has come out.

crowie
11th September 2014, 03:42 PM
While the box is quite beautiful, the thing that boggles me is the size of it and that it fits inside a safe.....WOW!!!!

Christos
11th September 2014, 05:50 PM
..... the thing that boggles me is the size of it and that it fits inside a safe.....WOW!!!!

My guess the safe is one of those cabinet type ones, which stands about 2 meters tall. The thing is the floor would normally need to be strengthen if is one of those big cabinet type ones.

Sawdust Maker
11th September 2014, 06:01 PM
nice

a private person needing such a safe?
... or insert

AlexS
11th September 2014, 06:08 PM
It's a really nice piece, but I agree with your comments about using the myrtle to set the piece off, especially when you have nice timber. Myrtle & ash, to me, don't go well together, as there's not enough contrast.
Pity it's going to be flocked. I reckon leather looks more luxurious, which is what a jewellery box needs. Still, the customer is always right.:banghead:

Twisted Tenon
11th September 2014, 07:52 PM
I wonder if the unit will fit flush against the inside if the safe, so that the outside of the box won't be seen?

Handyjack
11th September 2014, 10:17 PM
I guess the main purpose of making something for the client is to have their items organized. I like the way this has come out.

The main purpose of making something for the client is to:
a/ Fund our own woodworking or hobby
b/ To get paid so we can put food on the table and pay all our other bills
c/ Keep the other half happy when we give them $$$. :)

Skew's_Girl
12th September 2014, 05:59 AM
I wonder if the unit will fit flush against the inside if the safe, so that the outside of the box won't be seen?

I think it will be flush, yes. There may be room above this unit I don't know, but I think the sides and back of the box will be hidden by the walls of the safe, just the drawer facing will be visible.

An individual ordered the box, but whether it's for personal use or business use we didn't ask. For all we know they run a small jewelery store/pawn shop or have a rock specimen collection they want to protect.

I love the leather idea! A soft suede or calf skin maybe? It would make the box longer wearing as well.

Oh what we could do given the choice. C'est la vie.

AlexS
12th September 2014, 08:46 AM
I love the leather idea! A soft suede or calf skin maybe? It would make the box longer wearing as well. 'Pigskin splits' is the suede I use. Many colours, available from NSW Leather.

DaveTTC
12th September 2014, 10:15 PM
just a little jewelery box

very nice work

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art