PDA

View Full Version : How do you adjust a tailstock?

Vernonv
12th September 2014, 09:42 AM
Simple question I hope - how do you adjust a lathe's tailstock in the horizontal direction?

My tailstock (on an old Nuttall lathe) has a screw on both the near and far side of the tailstock, but I'm unsure as to how you actually use them to adjust the tailstock position. I've loosened them both off but the tailstock seems to be fixed in it's current position.

Any helpful hints welcome?

Vernonv
12th September 2014, 10:21 AM
I just had a thought ... the tailstock was locked to the bed when I was attempting to adjust it ... would that lock the adjustment down also?

pipeclay
12th September 2014, 10:54 AM
Are you trying to adjust it by releasing 1 screw and tightening the other,having it clamped may be a problem.

Vernonv
12th September 2014, 11:06 AM
Are you trying to adjust it by releasing 1 screw and tightening the otherYes that's how I assumed it worked. I loosened up both screws and then tightened one, but nothing moved and the screw just locked up. I ran out of time so left it at that.

... having it clamped may be a problem.Yes, in hindsight, I think that was the issue.

I'll hopefully confirm tonight.

.RC.
12th September 2014, 11:13 AM
I just had a thought ... the tailstock was locked to the bed when I was attempting to adjust it ... would that lock the adjustment down also?

It can be very frustrating aligning up a tailstock, especially on a worn lathe or one of dubious build quality...

I had a brand new Hare and Forbes AL1000C lathe many years ago...

I would try to align the tailstock and get frustrated...

Then I put a dial indicator on the tailstock ram and measured deflection between clamped and unclamped.... 0.1mm or so... The upper and lower parts of the tailstock were not matched together very well...

Different lathes have their tailstock alignment screws set up differently.... Some push and some pull depending on the tailstock design.. I am not going to say what is the best way to do it as I assume every person has their method that works for them...

Generally I set a dial indicator on the ram, check that between locked and unlocked it stays the same.... If it does adjust the screws to suit.... I use a test bar simply because it is far quicker then adjust then cut, adjust then cut... Forever chasing your tail...

And remember a 0.01 movement is 0.02 on diameter..

welder
12th September 2014, 11:28 AM
I just use a magnetic base and regular dial indicator and stick it to the chuck and just sweep around the tail stock barrel till it's 0 both sides. Don't worry about vertical alignment as the indicator will sag.

Pete F
12th September 2014, 02:31 PM
This topic has been very well covered, and the subject of vigorous debate at times, including in the past couple of months. I'm sure a search would reveal much wisdom.

simonl
13th September 2014, 09:37 AM
This topic has been very well covered, and the subject of vigorous debate at times, including in the past couple of months. I'm sure a search would reveal much wisdom.

Come on Pete, i'm sure you've got more to say on the topic than just that! :D

Simon

Pete F
13th September 2014, 11:32 AM
Come on Pete, i'm sure you've got more to say on the topic than just that! :D

Simon

M-u-s-t R-e-s-i-s-t t-h-e e-a-r-g-e. M-u-s-t R-e-s-i-s-t t-h-e e-a-r-g-e. M-u-s-t R-e-s-i-s-t .....

:D