PDA

View Full Version : a(nother) quick tung oil question

Faulko
15th September 2014, 08:20 PM
How waterproof is tung oil?

I'm referring to organoil pure tung oil, and am thinking of using it on a small vase (jacaranda). I've scanned/searched threads on the forum, and read the specs from organoil..and there's plenty of reference to 'sealing against moisture' etc......but I'm cynical, and wanted to check how waterproof it really is...and in my case if 'tung oil is waterproof' actually means the vase could cope with water.....I assume it's not properly waterproof, and the vase may cope for a little while, but regular re-coats for maintenance would be required????

Apologies if this specific question has been dealt with in a previous post - i failed to locate it.

Master Splinter
15th September 2014, 09:40 PM
I'd call tung oil splashproof but not submersion proof.

If you want it capable of holding water, then several coats of West Epoxy is the only way to go.

Mobyturns
15th September 2014, 09:56 PM
I think you will find their use of the term "seal against moisture" is a reference to the woods ability to take up atmospheric moisture only and not to hold water in a vase. :wink:

Faulko
16th September 2014, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the advice..now looking at west epoxy......anyone there had a go at expoxy to seal a vase? If I get my head around it I'll post what I find out...cheers

Christos
16th September 2014, 09:00 AM
I agree with the others that Tung oil is not waterproof but more water resistance once cured.

Now I remember reading something, but cannot tell you where.

In China, Tung oil was used to coat the hulks of the ships. But I think the ships were water tight before the Tung oil was applied. No idea of the method of how it was applied.

Faulko
16th September 2014, 10:52 AM
Yep, I came across that as well....also without any detail about how...

I have a chunk of camphor that is now used to hold fruit. I wet sanded tung oil into it for days and days....it took weeks to cure properly. I've tested it out with some fruit that's gone bad (you know the rancid piece that somehow hides at the bottom....) minor stain, but no other obvious ill-effects.

I agree with the others that Tung oil is not waterproof but more water resistance once cured.

Now I remember reading something, but cannot tell you where.

In China, Tung oil was used to coat the hulks of the ships. But I think the ships were water tight before the Tung oil was applied. No idea of the method of how it was applied.

Paul39
19th September 2014, 11:47 AM
Faulko,

Some folks here bore and use a glass test tube for bud vases.

For my dry flower holders I work between centers and sand and finish the outside, than bore out and sand the inside of the hole, part from the chuck holding the base, pour some tung oil in the hole and hold a rag over the hole and shake, drain and rub the end grain with the rag wet with tung oil. Next day I sand and finish the bottom.

For waterproofing a thin two part clear boat building epoxy would work for the inside and end grain top. Then several coats of tung oil worked in on the lathe for the outside.

Epoxy might work for the whole outside using a rag while the lathe is running, like using tung oil. Use gloves that won't let the epoxy through. And ventilation. I have gotten quite dizzy applying epoxy to plywood darkroom sinks in place.