PDA

View Full Version : shortening trailer axle.

BLKWDW
17th September 2014, 05:04 PM
What would be the best way to shorten down a trailer axle. Need to take of about 400mm of 2 axles i have in a dual axle camper trailer i'm building.
According to the rms i rang today its legal if the trailer manufacturer approves it and it passes a blue slip. There 45mm solid axles.

KBs PensNmore
18th September 2014, 12:22 AM
What would be the best way to shorten down a trailer axle. Need to take of about 400mm of 2 axles i have in a dual axle camper trailer i'm building.
According to the rms i rang today its legal if the trailer manufacturer approves it and it passes a blue slip. There 45mm solid axles.

Hi, one way of doing it would be to find some heavy walled pipe (that is a sliding fit on the axle if it is round), cut the axle in the required places so that the join is in the centre using the pipe as a sleeve, particularly if you're not experienced at welding. If you can take it to a professional welder, a join in the centre that is V'd should be fine. Another alternative is to take the axle to a place that makes axles and have them machine a new end on it (safest way).
Kryn

meadow street
18th September 2014, 12:29 AM
the axle steel is probably medium carbon steel 1045 and could be cut and re welded given the right approach.

low hydrogen electrodes and perhaps a procedure of pre heat and bevel springs to mind...

id look at cutting and overlaying the pieces

ref : http://www.interlloy.com.au/our-products/carbon-steels/1045-medium-tensile-carbon-steel-bar/

http://www.trailersauce.com/overlaystepped-axle-building.html?devicelock=desktop

:q

rod1949
18th September 2014, 03:34 PM
Another alternative is to take the axle to a place that makes axles and have them machine a new end on it (safest way).
Kryn

:whs:

soundman
19th September 2014, 07:33 PM
Any competent machinist with a big enough lathe should be able part of a section and machine a new end on an axle.....by far the best option other than buying a new axle.

cheers