PDA

View Full Version : Sorby spindle master regrind

Waxman
17th September 2014, 06:38 PM
Hi all,
I have a sorby spindle master that has a damaged cutting edge, would anyone have the original grinding angle? The only info I can find is to hone the flat edge, it is passed that and I think it has been modified, any help appreciated, thanks.

Mobyturns
17th September 2014, 07:22 PM
Hi all,
I have a sorby spindle master that has a damaged cutting edge, would anyone have the original grinding angle? The only info I can find is to hone the flat edge, it is passed that and I think it has been modified, any help appreciated, thanks.

I love the Sorby Spindlemaster with the original grind. I have rehabilitated a couple using the Heligrind jig on a Tormek. After a bit of effort honing they come back almost like original. I don't know what the original grind angle is though.

Jim Carroll
17th September 2014, 08:21 PM
When you regind the bevel you have to have a convex grind not hollow.

You then have to keep honing till you get the polished bevel.

It is totally useless if you finish up with a hollow grind as it will not run across the timber smoothly like it is supposed to.

The idea of only using a diamond hone on the top face is so you do not touch the front bevel apart from giving the occasion buff.

It is a bugga to redo.

Mobyturns
17th September 2014, 09:58 PM
When you regind the bevel you have to have a convex grind not hollow.

You then have to keep honing till you get the polished bevel.

It is totally useless if you finish up with a hollow grind as it will not run across the timber smoothly like it is supposed to.

The idea of only using a diamond hone on the top face is so you do not touch the front bevel apart from giving the occasion buff.

It is a bugga to redo.

Jim, I agree. After the Tormek I used a 600# diamond hone plate then the leather wheel on the Tormek to hone/polish. It becomes flat rather than slightly convex after rehab. That is one task a belt sharpening system would be good for. Definitely not as good as the original finish but quite acceptable & far better than throwing the tool away. The Sorby Spindlemaster should be used as a finish tool rather than like a German or continental spindle gouge. I love the 1/2" original grind in both the long & short versions though the long version is a bit academic really, given that you will not use much tool steel.

Waxman
19th September 2014, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the tips, I'll reshape it on my belt sander, should get a result with a bit of trial and error.