PDA

View Full Version : Big Burl Hunt, WA style ** Caution, Images of Naked Burls**

Willy Nelson
18th September 2014, 01:23 AM
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

Weekend just gone, I conducted another burl hunt on a private property which I have hunted on many times before, but this time we had Burl Sniffing dogs. These are dogs which have been bred to become burl dependent and crave their next hit of burl. I really didn't expect the hunt to be very succesful as the burls had been hunted almost to extinction. The farm was being sold soon so it might be our last chance to hunt burls here.

We arrived at approximately 0930 and immediately, the dogs started drooling, they could smell burl. We rapidly got the motorbikes unloaded and 'Released the Hounds!'

Within minutes, they had quickly rounded up a small brace of undersized burls which were released to for the future. The dogs were really chomping on the bit now, but knew what was expected of them and they quickly sniffed out some more burls, and after a short chase on motorbikes, we had them corralled and then quickly dispatched humanely with the 660 saw and placed in a cooler to preserve them.

This set the trend for the morning, the dogs would locate the burls, the guys on the motorbikes would round them up and run them to the ground, whilst I was in the ute armed with the Stihl 660, 26 inch blade and 3/8 chain. At the end of the day, we got our bag limit of over 80 York Gum Burls! Most of which will be for turning, but some also for carving

Happy days

Willy
Jarrahland

artme
18th September 2014, 08:38 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You will of course share the spoils??:;

BTW: that is a beautiful burl sniffer.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Beesncheese
18th September 2014, 08:57 AM
Ha ! Love it great hunting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlackbuttWA
18th September 2014, 10:41 AM
I just love your sense of humour Willie.
I like many others are envious of your haul of York Gum burls. IMHO YGB's they are the best of the best .
If you need to store them somewhere I have 5 acres so plenty of room for them here.:) Just drop them off, no need to arrange anything.

Looking forward to the results after they are turned & carved.

Good luck.

Col

dai sensei
18th September 2014, 10:48 AM
Are Willy you have the gift of the gab :U. Looks like a great day's outing scoring well :2tsup::cool:. Have you found some where to store them, or like me, kicked one of the kids out so you could use the bedroom :U:U:U

Let me know when you have cut out those round blanks so I can send someone around to again look at the bottom of your bins :U. I was actually around at Gawdelpus John's place the other day cutting up some of your jarrah leftover bits into pen blanks for him.

Treecycle
18th September 2014, 11:00 AM
What a great day must have been had. Out there in bushland with four wheel drive, motorbikes, chainsaw, dogs. It doesn't get much better than that.
It sounds like a fair size property if you have been there before and still come home with another good catch this time:U.

Christos
18th September 2014, 11:20 AM
What last time out burl hunting.

I was going to suggest a burl hunting safari.

Well done.

Allen Neighbors
18th September 2014, 11:24 AM
What a tale you can tell to your Grandkids someday!
Great hunting!! We need some trees like that around NW Texas. :(
Come to think of it, we just need some more trees! :)

rod1949
18th September 2014, 03:27 PM
So I see you have some one footer's there?

wheelinround
18th September 2014, 04:29 PM
Willy this is sadistic torture cutting them burls off in the prime of their lives, why they haven't grown anywhere near big enough yet.
The unfair use of dogs bread to sniff out and run down these poor pubescent creations.
Then the violation and pre-meditated torture you're putting us easterners through with photos of your antics and horde.:q

Great score should be more of it. I just wish I could have rounded up Hughie and a few more to rescue some burls the size of you down to similar along Camden Valley Way where the road is being widened. Those poor tree's now pulp and garden bark or firewood.:C

ticklingmedusa
18th September 2014, 06:06 PM
Good one willy!:2tsup:

Willy Nelson
18th September 2014, 08:48 PM
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen

Thanks for the kind words. It was a great day, so good in fact that my 18 yo son fell asleep on the way home, poor little fellow. Although I too, was tempted as I was buggered.

The property is a mere 250 acres. I have been there numerous times and always just taken 20 or so, didn't want to be greedy and only took medium to large burls. The property has now sold and the farmer was happy for me to take the lot. Would love access to the neighbours property, 20,000 acres of York Gums!!!!!!! I always supply the farmer and his wife with turned items from their property, or beer.

The back of the farm, which I have only visited once, didn't reveal any burls. So after the trailer was 1/2 full, I said, I have enough, how about we just go fro a ride and will follow with the dogs and ute. That was when we hit the mother lode. One tree had 9 burls on it. We found a clump of trees with heaps of burls. I generally am careful taking burls to avoid ring barking the tree. It is is a healthy sign to see all the tree which have had their cancerous, life threatening burls removed, but still thriving.
I look forward to them drying in 3-4 years time as York Gum Burls are my favorite burls
Cheers

Willy

Jarrahland