PDA

View Full Version : What to do with...

brendan stemp
18th September 2014, 05:14 PM
...this??

brendan stemp
18th September 2014, 05:20 PM
It stands over 300mm high, this vase was made from an old fence post. It is Yellow Box crossed with granite. Harder than anything else I have put on the lathe. It took hours of hollowing and more hours to stand the b......y thing. But I like the final product.

Voids have been filled with epoxy resin and gumnuts. Sprayed with NC lacquer.

turnerted
18th September 2014, 05:47 PM
Another spectacular piece Brendan.Must have been a few hours work in that.
Ted

artme
18th September 2014, 07:00 PM
When I saw the question and saw the first pick my very first thought was "fill the thing with resin and then tur"n it!"

Beautiful result Brendan!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Glad you read my thoughts and got to work so quickly!:D

dai sensei
18th September 2014, 07:58 PM
Geez good result, I would have said burn it :-

cava
18th September 2014, 11:07 PM
:whs:

chuck1
18th September 2014, 11:26 PM
That's awesome! Wish my budget could stretch for some resin! Great result!

Christos
19th September 2014, 11:35 AM
Sometimes we get these pieces and as a hobbyist all the better to play.

You have done a very nice job on the vase but I am still surprised to see a professional play. And yet it is part of the craft and why we do what we do.

powderpost
19th September 2014, 08:04 PM
Geez good result, I would have said burn it :-

I would agree with that comment. But, it has turned out to be a very nice piece. Well done Brendon... :2tsup:

dennisk
21st September 2014, 12:56 AM
When I first saw the piece of wood it looked like an old cedar fence post which were quite common out here on the prairies of western Canada. You still see them occasionally with a new post still trying to hold up the often patched and basically useless fence. These are western red cedar in the ground for a hundred years or so. I enjoy hearing about how hard some of the woods you guys have down there are, especially this piece. The old post up here could be turned with a tin can lid. Beautiful piece, sir.

Allen Neighbors
26th September 2014, 02:18 PM
When I saw the first photo, I thought, "Firewood". Then I saw what you did with the other post! That is some awesome turning!:2tsup: My hat's off to you for excellence in your craft!
Now I have two questions:
What size epoxy resin do you buy to have on hand such a large amount?
What in the heck are gum nuts?:?
Al

brendan stemp
26th September 2014, 08:29 PM
When I saw the first photo, I thought, "Firewood". Then I saw what you did with the other post! That is some awesome turning!:2tsup: My hat's off to you for excellence in your craft!
Now I have two questions:
What size epoxy resin do you buy to have on hand such a large amount?
What in the heck are gum nuts?:?
Al
Thanks Alan, and all others, for the positive feedback.
Alan, gumnuts are the seed pods from gum trees or eucalypts. These are some of the smallest gumnuts (there are hundreds of different eucalypts) and, ironically are off one of the bigger eucalypts; a red gum or e. cameldulensis.
I buy the epoxy in 20 kg kits which makes it a heck of a lot cheaper than smaller quantities.