PDA

View Full Version : Nova DVR XP vs Vicmarc VL175

QuarkVI
19th September 2014, 08:43 PM
Good people of the forum,

I am in the process of choosing my first "serious" lathe i.e. one that appears to meet my requirements for now :-

Currently I have a no-name 4 speed lathe with homemade banjo/rests that I want to upgrade from. I was really wanting something with variable speed, a rotating headstock and a low speed for thread chasing. Still learning but my interests lean towards boxes and spindle turning decorative objects. Really taken by Springett's book and want to eventually get to that but will keep on trying items like Dale Nish's christmas decorations for now. I am seriously considering also doing my own "box journey" through Stott's book. Also have an order in for Bill Jones' books. As you can see I am taken by smaller scale decorative items but would still turn the odd bowl.
My son has also been learning woodturning so will also be on the lathe but he is still figuring out what he enjoys.

With all of that and my budget in mind it seems the best two options for me are either the Nova DVR XP or Vicmarc VL175.

I would appreciate any input on what the differences are between these two lathes, if anything, to help me make the best choice possible.

many thanks
Robin
New Zealand

Jim Carroll
19th September 2014, 09:55 PM
Robin the DVR was a very popular locally made lathe in NZ so you will get a lot of positive local feedback.

However this side of the ditch the vicmarc range is the lathe of choice.

The DVR has a great technology but downtime for repairs is horrendous.

The Vicmarc lathes use a traditional variable speed set up and is more easeir for repairs.

Yes you still have to consider this as over time glitches do happen but with the vicmarc it is greatly reduced.

Their after sales service is also far better then teknatool as it can take ages to get a response from them

If you envisage doing heavy work the build of the vicmarc is a heap better than the dvr

With the vicmarc you get as standard the 1m between centres where the dvr needs bed extensions
The dvr has a 200mm centre height the vicmarc a 175mm .

Teknatool could have done far better with what they had but something always held them back from being one of the best lathes in the world.

Vicmarc are more recognised by novice and professional woodturners world wide

You get the feeling I am trying to sway you a certain way :D:D

Tim the Timber Turner
19th September 2014, 10:39 PM
If you want to buy your last lathe:

"Buy a Vicmarc":2tsup:

Cheers
Tim:)

delbs
19th September 2014, 10:50 PM
I like the sound of that Tim. Im also considering lathe also so ill watch this with interest. Jim raises some good points. I wasnt aware of the aftermarket sales from Nova

Woodturnerjosh
19th September 2014, 11:11 PM
Vicmarc's are just fantastic! I've recently acquired a VL240 (upgrade from a VL200) and (as usual) everything is finished and designed brilliantly!
If I had room I would have kept the 200 as well because I have no doubt the lathe would have had another 40 years in it! :U

delbs
19th September 2014, 11:28 PM
And do you plan on keeping it or feel like it will last you for the next 10/20 years? What sort of turning will you be doing on the VL240? It just seems aftermarket support is awesome with vicmarc so if I get the right sized vicmarc it will take care of all my turning needs for a long time coming. Really sorry not trying to hijack thread just keen on peoples opinions

Mobyturns
20th September 2014, 12:10 AM
Its a no contest in my book. Vicmarc!

I recently went down the road of what to purchase in a new lathe as I mostly do small(er) work and was really looking for a replacement for my Nova Mercury but I was open to all possibilities. I also have an older Woodfast M908 (1992) with the M910 EVS retrofitted.

Both the VL175 & the Nova DVR were on my list but the DVR had a few "failings" in my opinion,

Bolt together lathe bed design is an after thought or is convenient for manufacture - have you tried to move a banjo or tail stock over a mismatched bed joint = PIA!
width of the lathe bedways are quite narrow
camlock / banjo & tool rest design is poor
all locking levers are not robust or large enough
IF the DVR motor dies & IF there are no parts available then you have no options - no retrofit options at all!
past experience with Nova/Teknatool for parts with my Mercury was "its an old lathe bad luck" response from them - it was 8 yo!

All Teknatool lathes have these issues IMO.

The DVR concept itself is brilliant and has safety features no other lathe manufacturer has copied yet (to my knowledge.) However the proximity of DVR motor/controls "all in one" to my implantable cardiac device rules it out immediately for me.

The VL175 ticked all my boxes & when you compare almost every feature between the two the VL175 is far more robust, has better ergonomic design, is stronger and a far better value proposition for long term use.

When you see the number of Vicmarc lathes that are in clubs coping with everything thrown at them & still going strong 20 or more years latter it is not hard to argue that they are built like a brick outhouse. Add in very little in maintenance or replacement parts put into them says a lot to me.

In the end I opted to keep the M908 and purchased a new VL150 + the extn bed (just in case) and a customized tail stock "quill." Not cheap but a very good HQ robust lathe that will well outlive me. I believe the VL150 is streets ahead of any competition in its class & far more "liveable" & well ahead of the DVR XP in almost all departments except one - spindle height.

QuarkVI
20th September 2014, 06:33 AM
Jim - many thanks for the input. I hadn't notice the default bed differences and I know from my turning club that the Nova needs the extension so that you have somewhere to put the tailstock, except the ground, when wanting to do bowls - and not having your gouge handle hit it as you lean over the bed.

Can anyone comment on the two mechanisms for rotating the head i.e. is one easier to use or keep in place than the other?

Also the Vicmarc does have the advantage of being able to put the controller on the right - makes me feel more comfortable especially when my son uses the lathe as it is easier to teach him to stand out of the line of fire when starting up.

Contacted Vicmarc yesterday about distributors in NZ and they don't have any but because of that they are more than willing to ship straight to me with a discount on the RRP (before shipping) - apparently this is standard for any country without a distributor. So I have experienced some of the good customer support already.

I do believe I am being swayed ...

thanks
Robin

artme
20th September 2014, 07:51 AM
Several turners I know have the 175 an all of them have commented on the brilliant swivelling head.

When rotated for outboard turning and the rotated back for spindle turning the centres will line up perfectly. I know of no other lathe where this happens.

jefferson
20th September 2014, 08:15 AM
Robin,

You really have only one decision to make - do I buy a VL175 or a VL 240? I have 3 Vicmarcs (plus a 750 Stubby) and can't recommend them highly enough. I turn mostly on my175 - it is a great lathe.

Woodturnerjosh
20th September 2014, 09:16 AM
And do you plan on keeping it or feel like it will last you for the next 10/20 years? What sort of turning will you be doing on the VL240? It just seems aftermarket support is awesome with vicmarc so if I get the right sized vicmarc it will take care of all my turning needs for a long time coming. Really sorry not trying to hijack thread just keen on peoples opinions

I don't want to hijack the thread but I do bowls and hollow forms so was after a short bed lathe and the swivel head is fantastic. The banjo is long enough that you can still use it with the head turned 30 degrees (any more and I think you would need the outboard attachment).
I was initially concerned with unnecessary moving parts (headstock) but it is very solid and well designed and engineered (typical of a Vicmarc) I have no doubt I will get many decades of enjoyment from this!

Bazza
20th September 2014, 09:48 AM
Hello Robin,
I have owned a DVR XP for about 7 years now I am very happy with it and have not had any problems with it to date.
I use the swivel head when I turn bowls and use one of those double ended morse taper things to line it back up again.
I have not had any problems with sliding the tailstock along the bed or with any of the camlocks holding the tailstock banjo or tool rest , their are no belts to slip , squeak or break. The push button to increase the speed it a pain but you can pre-set your most used speeds.
If the motor dies it is my understanding I can buy a new one and fit it to the existing lathe , I don't know how expensive this would be and hope I don't have to find out.

Cheers
Bazza

Jim Carroll
20th September 2014, 10:40 AM
Jim - many thanks for the input. I hadn't notice the default bed differences and I know from my turning club that the Nova needs the extension so that you have somewhere to put the tailstock, except the ground, when wanting to do bowls - and not having your gouge handle hit it as you lean over the bed.

Can anyone comment on the two mechanisms for rotating the head i.e. is one easier to use or keep in place than the other?

Also the Vicmarc does have the advantage of being able to put the controller on the right - makes me feel more comfortable especially when my son uses the lathe as it is easier to teach him to stand out of the line of fire when starting up.

Contacted Vicmarc yesterday about distributors in NZ and they don't have any but because of that they are more than willing to ship straight to me with a discount on the RRP (before shipping) - apparently this is standard for any country without a distributor. So I have experienced some of the good customer support already.

I do believe I am being swayed ...

thanks
Robin

Swayed I would think nearly toppled.

The return to alingment with the nova is always a pest as you really need the acruline adaptor to make sure it is dead on again.
Vicmarc have a dedicated pin set up so when reverting back to alingment it will always be spot on no need for funudging into place.