PDA

View Full Version : Drop spindles & niddy noddy.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th September 2014, 08:16 PM
Skews_Girl has long been interested in spinning her own yarn; lately she has done a lot of research & googling into the various aspects, but... well... as we all know, the 'knowing' of something isn't the same as the 'doing.'

This all changed last w/e when we dropped in on Wheelinround & his lovely wife, Sue, who is an avid spinner & weaver. (His SWMBO, that is, not Wheelin. Although we all know he is an adept spinner 'n weaver of a different kind! :p) So now The Girl is charging head-long into the doing, with many, many thanks to Sue.

Of course, this means she now needs the assorted paraphernalia with which to achieve the doing. Which, in turn, means more projects for me! The last few days have seen a couple of Drop Spindles and a Niddy Noddy emerge from the bowels of The Shed. They're not the greatest examples of either turning or their types, but they've all become covered in yarn within minutes of their first sight of light.

I think this means I'm doing something right! :D

hughie
20th September 2014, 08:57 PM
Glad the Boss has put you to good work. :U

chuck1
20th September 2014, 10:00 PM
Good work! Last time I made some the customer wanted them to weight between 38 and 42 grams! I made the sample out of European beech and went to the fruit shop to weigh them! And the customer had scales to check them! And ordered 25 of them!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st September 2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks fellas.

At this stage of the game, The Girl is happy with these "to start off with." I don't have to worry about spin rate/duration, weight distribution, etc., etc. yet.

I suspect that's only a matter of time.

Talking of time, it looks there'll be a spinning wheel or three emerging from the shed in the not-so distant future. Fortunately, they won't be the first.

Right now I'm tentatively planning on making a small, modified (ie. slower speed) travelling charkha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Small_Charkha.JPG) to get The Girl started, to buy me the time while I build a Walking Wheel.... which'll buy me the time to build a small Tower Wheel. (Won't have the space for a Saxony and a Walking!)

Of course, I expect to get orders for more, 'improved' drop spindles and niddy noddys.

(Oh! And I already have an order for a coupla Lazy Kates! My aching wood supplies! :C)

Pat
21st September 2014, 11:33 AM
Andy, happy wife . . . happy turner :;

wheelinround
21st September 2014, 11:59 AM
It was good to see you and Anne again and Sue aid good to meet you both at last.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Andy this is ALL where my trouble started "Can you make me a drop spindle"? at the time I only had a drill press and wood chisels some 40 odd spindles latter I am almost finished 1st ever full build spinning wheel:doh: In between of curse I gained a lathe or 3 to keep up with demand.

I'm glad your got seconded into that Lazy Kate Andy you'll soon have more orders I am sure.:U

I thought Anne was going to turn these herself while you were/are at work?

Sue said to remind Anne she now has to ply two or more spun yarns to make a skein to be able to knit it!! Tell her to google "Andean plying (http://www.youtube.com/results?q=andean+plying)"!

Greg Ward will appreciate the additional sales or will some wood from dunny doors be used in production of said tools??

A Walking Wheel:oo: no room for anything else then TV becomes a thing of the past let alone piece n quiet and often takes two to work them.

Oh I have plans for 2 shaft and 4 shaft looms Andy :;

Old-Biker-UK
22nd September 2014, 03:21 AM
The Old Biker spinning on a Big Wheel in another life

wheelinround
22nd September 2014, 10:17 AM
The Old Biker spinning on a Big Wheel in another life

Like the period costume Mark or is this the Sunday best :;

Sprog
22nd September 2014, 02:02 PM
Talking of time, it looks there'll be a spinning wheel or three emerging from the shed in the not-so distant future.

Hi Skew,

I have some drawings of a Samuel Crompton Saxony type spinning wheel. The dimensions were taken from an original wheel in a Bolton museum.
Makes a really nice wheel, lots of turning

If you are interested I could scan them for you.

Best wishes
Graham

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd September 2014, 10:03 PM
I have some drawings of a Samuel Crompton Saxony type spinning wheel. The dimensions were taken from an original wheel in a Bolton museum.
Makes a really nice wheel, lots of turning

If you are interested I could scan them for you.

I'd love a copy, if you don't mind. Another Saxony isn't in my project queue, but I'm sure it'd fill a hole in my li'l book of plans. ;)

I find it fascinating how current mfrs seem to have their own little mods - to what is really a fairly basic design - that can make huge differences in particular areas. But the older ones, although they don't have all these bells and whistles, get the job done with a minimum of fuss. They're for function, not looks.

Christos
25th September 2014, 02:17 PM
Well done on getting things done for the other half.

As you are now heading down the path of making a spinning wheel as Wheelinround has been doing does that now mean you are going to be called Miniwheelin?

issatree
25th September 2014, 05:15 PM
Hi Andy,
I've been making Drop Spindles for quite a few years now, & once you get to know the Spinner & Weaver Ladies, you get to know what they want.
For me, What they ask for, they get, as they are the ones using them.
As for making Weighted Ones, I just made them & let them work it out.
The Whorl part needs to be at least 75mm. / 3in.
I was given a lend of a book, " Handspindles " by Bette Hochberg,
ISBN 0 9600990-4-2, may still be able to get it. Very informative, lots of Stories, Drawings of Spindles, some Photos. I just noticed that I have dated it, & is says
7 / 3 / 2004, a lot longer than I thought.
Of Course, Google " Wooden Drop Spindles", & it is all there.
This will really get you going.