PDA

View Full Version : Joinery advice for rocking crib

pflood
20th September 2014, 09:15 PM
Hello all, I am just beginning a new project based on the rocking crib shown on this webpage: http://www.mothercare.ie/mothercare-swinging-crib-white.html

I'm a little concerned however that since the weight of the main body of the crib is held by screws at the top of the piece then the mortise and tenons shown could pop out with the weight of the baby and timber.. I was considering making the centremost uprights thicker, with a tenon going almost all the way through the cross piece so that the screw from which the crib swings would go through the tenon as well.

Would this strengthen the design sufficiently or in fact weaken it? Your advice is much appreciated. let me know if this isn't clear and I can re-phrase or draw it out.. Thanks!

PS apologies if this is the incorrect subforum.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th September 2014, 09:22 PM
Provided your mortise & tenon are up to par, that should work quite well and be a substantial improvement to the design. (IMO, anyway. :rolleyes:)

pflood
21st September 2014, 08:09 AM
Provided your mortise & tenon are up to par, that should work quite well and be a substantial improvement to the design. (IMO, anyway. :rolleyes:)

going to put a stopper in to limit the angle of the swing too. thanks for the feedback, looking forward to the project now :)