PDA

View Full Version : Blast gate with 100% efficiency

Wongo
30th June 2005, 11:43 AM
There is one finally problem I need to solve before I build a full dust collection system. Commercially available blast gates are pretty ordinary with very poor efficiency. I tested one by blowing through it and I could breathe quite easily. Imagine if you have 5 or 6 of them in your DC system. You’ve already lost enough of suction by adding a 2-stage bin and PVC piping. So you don’t really want to lose more when it is avoidable.

I have been toying with this idea for a few days and I finally build one last night. Once again it is straight forward and you can work it out easily. It might look a little bit clumsy but believe me, once the gate is closed it is completely sealed.

I believe that the idea is right and improvement can be made.

Any comments?

:)

Wongo
30th June 2005, 11:46 AM

bitingmidge
30th June 2005, 11:54 AM
Any comments? :)
You really don't want me to finish EVER do you???

:D :D :D

Another great idea from the world's oldest engineering culture methinks!

The only bit I don't get, is the hinge/lock arrangement..... how and why? I would have thought that just replacing the gates with MDF would have been close to "very" efficient, without having to clamp the gates shut?

Are you using a 1200 DC?

Cheers,

P

Wongo
30th June 2005, 12:03 PM
Midge,

Good question. It is the same thing I have been thinking for a few days.

Remember this: sliding motion = gaps

There is nothing you can do about it. I want something very good, not very close. Yes you need 2 extra steps to close and open the gate but they are 2 very little steps.

I am still thinking though. :)

Wongo
30th June 2005, 12:10 PM
The only bit I don't get, is the hinge/lock arrangement..... how and why?

This is the only way to sandwich 2 foam sheets and a MDF gate in the middle.

Zed
30th June 2005, 01:22 PM
what about covering the bit in the middle with some rubber ?

and what happens when your clamp slips due to vibration or bumping it ?

great idea though... if you only have a couple of machines it wouldn't be a big inconvenience...

worth a greenie

Wongo
30th June 2005, 05:34 PM
what about covering the bit in the middle with some rubber ?

and what happens when your clamp slips due to vibration or bumping it ?

great idea though... if you only have a couple of machines it wouldn't be a big inconvenience...

worth a greenie

Zed,

Thanks for you feedback mate. I use spring clamp for a good reason. It is very strong and quick to release. It is impossible to slip.

Also, you only need to close one gate and open one gate each time. So it isn’t a big inconvenience.

Anyway, I think I will go ahead and build it this way. :)

Zed
30th June 2005, 08:58 PM
it wasnt a critisism it was a question - rubber is one of the best sealers around however your idea is pertty good I think, you've done well.

boban
30th June 2005, 09:28 PM
Just one criticism Wongo, you didnt paint them JET white.

What were you thinking?

Good idea.

AlexS
30th June 2005, 10:21 PM
Midge,

:)

Not with my drawers :D

(I wish)

On second thoughts, perhaps I should have let this one go through to the keeper :rolleyes:

dai sensei
30th June 2005, 11:45 PM

Interesting design Wongo. You are right about those commercially available gates, they are very ineffecient.

I used a sliding home made version based on a sliding panel (see my web site) which is based on a design by Phil Bumbalough. I find there are no gaps as the suction from the DC forces the sliding panel against the sides and seals it.

My only comment on your design would be that you have to line up the hole in your panel with the duct by eye each time. Or is there a guide locating pin I cannot see?

Cheers