PDA

View Full Version : Fessing up and quite embarrassed

jefferson
25th September 2014, 08:58 AM
Last night at the Club I was helping a novice turn a piece to mount a clock on the small Green Peril. I got to her half-way through - she'd already cut a massively wide recess for the small dovetail jaws for a VM100. We had a long chat about spigots v. tenons, size of both etc for safety reasons. I took my 10 degree skew to the piece and showed her how to make the dovetail. No other jaws available.

She then turned the piece around and tried to face off the opposite (good) side. She made a mess of it and we were running out of wood fast. I reckon the small jaws in expansion mode (something I never do) were near at the max ie. not holding except on the points.

I usually refrain from taking over with the chisel, but we were close to way-too-thin, so I suggested that I take a cut to correct.

It had been that long since I'd had ANYTHING come out of the lathe that honestly I can't remember.... I took not a heavy cut but clearly too much.... And out it came...

Pride and nothing else hurt, I re-mounted and took maybe 4 smaller facing cuts and fixed the deep furrows left by my student. (And I suspect this was a piece of blackwood that caused me much grief later on).

Lessons? Plenty.

First, everything I'd warned about over-sized recesses (and recesses generally) confirmed.

Second, if it looks, cuts and smells like Blackwood, it certainly is, even if not.

Third, don't get involved with a student mid-stream, unless safety dictates otherwise (as here).

Four, I knew better and ignored what my better instincts and years of instruction were telling me. Lucky I wasn't hurt.

Five, this was a golden opportunity for the student to turn an insert, re-glue and start again. Folly for those in a hurry.

Six, making a mistake can prove a point well enough but not at the cost of your health and pride.

Seven, say NO when NO is the right answer.

Eight, take the time to get it right and live again another day.

No doubt I missed a few. The farting from my female 66 YO student didn't help either.

Allan at Wallan
25th September 2014, 10:55 AM
I hope you have not adopted these poor habits from
visiting our club, Northern Woodturners, during
these last couple of weeks.
:buttkick:

Allan

jefferson
25th September 2014, 12:11 PM
Allan,

I don't think I picked up too many bad habits while visiting the Northern Club. You guys are very fortunate - good instructors/demonstrators, warm surrounds, great facilities and even better company. And $ in the bank, you don't know how lucky you are.

No doubt your lot, including Ken, would have been on my case ASAP if I was led awry.

I did see a couple of UFOs at Northern though, so I aint Robinson Crusoe. Just disappointed to have lost one myself after such a long time. (I did drop the lid of a box, complete with finial, in the last 12 months while parting off, but that doesn't count).

chucky
26th September 2014, 01:09 PM
Jeff, You are more than welcome at Northern Woodturners any time,and it was a great to see you here last sat. even if you had present our show & tell.

Regards
Ian

greyhound
26th September 2014, 02:33 PM
I hope you have not adopted these poor habits from
visiting our club, Northern Woodturners, during
these last couple of weeks.
:buttkick:

Allan
Allan,Just an observation it can get very windy at Wallan:B

jefferson
26th September 2014, 07:49 PM
Ian and Co,

t was great being welcomed at the Northern Club last week and doing the Show and Tell. Thank you. The Wallan crew are a very dedicated group of woodturners!

powderpost
26th September 2014, 07:56 PM
Good to see you back on deck Jeff.

Jim

jefferson
26th September 2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks, Jim, I appreciate it.

Almost back on deck. Annie the wife has retired and company is always good. I turned blanks for top for a Kiddies Festival all day long. Nothing special, but plenty of practice on spindles, which I haven't done for some time. Retired would have been proud of my skew work finishing.

You and the guys at my club/s I do thank and owe a debt to you all.

Mobyturns
28th September 2014, 05:42 AM
Hope you are putting out a few shavings off that VL150, good to see you encouraging & assisting others mate.

Pat
28th September 2014, 06:55 AM
Jeff, any video evidence?:;

jefferson
28th September 2014, 10:37 PM
Sorry, Pat, no photos either!