PDA

View Full Version : AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!

artme
27th September 2014, 05:57 PM
Put the new jaws on the chuck this morning and tackled a rough turned euc. bowl from a number of years ago.

Bowl had warped considerably and it was an effort to get it back to round,

Did inside first and then tackled outside. Things were looking good !!

went back to the inside. Next thing "whack" the wood had dried so much and become so brittle that the bowl snapped off the foot.

Now I have to figure out how to re-mount so I can finish the job.

Any tips?? Please!!!

hughie
27th September 2014, 07:01 PM
Put the new jaws on the chuck this morning and tackled a rough turned euc. bowl from a number of years ago.

Bowl had warped considerably and it was an effort to get it back to round,

Did inside first and then tackled outside. Things were looking good !!

went back to the inside. Next thing "whack" the wood had dried so much and become so brittle that the bowl snapped off the foot.

Now I have to figure out how to re-mount so I can finish the job.

Any tips?? Please!!!

If you have some CA jell then place a decent sized blob in the centre and carefully align and clamp together. Then run around the outside with your usual thin CA ,leave it over night, it should be ok.
Thicker glue can be used such as pva or epoxy two pack I just find it harder to align.

Mobyturns
28th September 2014, 05:36 AM
If the tennon has sheared off because the "timber was so dry" I would respectfully suggest that perhaps the tennon size may be a little to small for the bowl diameter and timber species. I learned a similar lesson many years ago when I was experimenting with contrasting rims & feet on bowls. Pink silky oak was a great choice for colour but a very poor choice for structural integrity on bowl tennon, even for a less than 200mm bowl.

Christos
28th September 2014, 07:19 AM
I would glue up a piece of wood to the bottom of the bowl after sanding what is left of the foot flat. I would use wood glue and leave overnight.

The alignment will be a little hard to get right with the glue up so I would true up the glued up wood according to the bowl and then spin the bowl and true up the bowl to completion.

Bruce White
28th September 2014, 10:36 AM
And I bet you said "Oh dash, I wish that hadn't happened!" or something like that. :U

Frustrating is it not and always happens right near the end.

artme
29th September 2014, 06:01 PM
Tomorrow morning will tell whether I have sorted out my problem.

I used a power plane to knock the rest of the foot off and the used the belt sander to get the new foot perfectly flat.

Mounted in the Coles Jaws at the club and cut a new tenon.

Mounted back in the chuck and brought the thing home. This afternoon I got to work very carefully with a round nosed scraper and finished the outside and inside. I noted some cracks which I gave a couple of doses of CA and let it stand for a couple of hours.

I did a little more with a super sharp scraper and then got to work sanding.

I have left the bowl in the chuck and will see in the morning If the CA job on the cracks has worked.

Christos
30th September 2014, 02:33 PM
I take it that the cracks were very small?

artme
1st October 2014, 05:01 PM
I take it that the cracks were very small?

Indeed they were small and have held. I did some more sanding today and am close to finishing.

The blank is a piece of euc from a fork area. grain looks pretty special|!

Will post a pic when finished.

Paul39
2nd October 2014, 02:43 AM
Indeed they were small and have held. I did some more sanding today and am close to finishing.

The blank is a piece of euc from a fork area. grain looks pretty special|!

Will post a pic when finished.

Good to hear you saved it. Eagerly awaiting photos.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th October 2014, 01:41 PM
Good to hear that you may've salvaged it. :)

It's pieces like that which have kept our pot-belly going when the firewood pile starts to run low... :sigh: (Then again, that's where many of 'em came from in the first place!)