PDA

View Full Version : Fixing tabletop to rail

Rob from Kew
30th June 2005, 05:18 PM
What methods do members use or prefer to fix the tabletop to the rail?

Rob

craigb
30th June 2005, 05:20 PM
I like to use wooden "buttons"

silentC
30th June 2005, 05:36 PM
Same as Craig.

Ashore
30th June 2005, 06:16 PM
By buttons do you mean Mean similar to attachment that fit into a 10mm grove routered into the rail

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=10234&stc=1

I Also use figure eights where the rail is to thin or I have a clearance problem

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Tasman
30th June 2005, 06:33 PM
As Ashore says,it let's the top move with the variations of temperature with out cracking...............Tasman

Wood Borer
30th June 2005, 06:46 PM
I'm glad someone found a diagram of a button. I recall drawing one some time ago and I am sure I included it on the BB. Maybe I was dreaming in my young age.

You can cut them on a bandsaw with more of a curve than a rebate. They look better to anyone grovelling on the floor under the table.

There are metal ones you can buy but why would you buy when you can make them from scrap.

Driver
30th June 2005, 07:50 PM
..... anyone grovelling on the floor under the table.

Rob

I would have thought that a refined bloke the likes of yourself would have been a bit more choosy over who he invites over for dinner. Or is it that you're a bit heavy-handed with the sherry bottle when you're making trifle for afters? ;)

Col (the etiquette expert :eek: )

outback
30th June 2005, 08:11 PM
Well Driver, he's never invited me over to grovel after his sherry. I guess this hardly counts, I mean its a pretty low base to work from aren't I.

JB
30th June 2005, 08:12 PM
I Also use figure eights where the rail is to thin or I have a clearance problem

But do they allow for wood movement? Only good for manufactured boards I think.

aabb
30th June 2005, 10:20 PM
By buttons do you mean Mean similar to attachment that fit into a 10mm grove routered into the rail

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=10234&stc=1

Perhaps Im a bit slow tonight but not sure how the buttons are placed vv the rail and the table top . Am I right in saying there is 10mm grove on inside on rail which hold the 9mm part of the button with other end with screw being attached to bottom of table top.. ie button just rests on rail .. no glue or screw ?

thanks for clarification

Albert

Ashore
30th June 2005, 10:37 PM
Perhaps Im a bit slow tonight but not sure how the buttons are placed vv the rail and the table top . Am I right in saying there is 10mm grove on inside on rail which hold the 9mm part of the button with other end with screw being attached to bottom of table top.. ie button just rests on rail .. no glue or screw ?

thanks for clarification

AlbertYes mate no glue you make the grove with an extra 1mm down to pull the top tight as you screw
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=10245&stc=1
if this isn't clear try me again tomorrow as I just had a big meal ( one of those theres no free meals meal )

Ashore
30th June 2005, 10:43 PM
But do they allow for wood movement? Only good for manufactured boards I think.Depends on the screw size to hole size, how tight you screw them up and how well you drill the screw holes ie in the center of the hole and the size of the recess u use . I always go oversize but have a good set of forstner drills have had no problems just takes a little more time in getting it all accurate but i'm retired with all the time I need.

Different
30th June 2005, 11:18 PM
Buttons for sure but I differ on the required dimensions shown in the pic attached to previous posts. The bit that goes into the skirt needs not be any thicker than 6mm unless it is a dining table or something else large.

Ross

Ashore
30th June 2005, 11:23 PM
Buttons for sure but I differ on the required dimensions shown in the pic attached to previous posts. The bit that goes into the skirt needs not be any thicker than 6mm unless it is a dining table or something else large.

RossProberly right ross, the ones i drew are the size i use and as an ex -marine engineer i usually over engineer everything by 50% or more

Wood Borer
1st July 2005, 09:52 AM
I would have thought that a refined bloke the likes of yourself would have been a bit more choosy over who he invites over for dinner.

Driver and Outback,

I distinctly recall inviting both of you to my home when you hit Melbourne next. I thought that would have made it quite clear about the quality of people we have for dinner.

Some people when discovered under the table claim they are checking out the finish on the buttons (buttons holding the top to the rails), hence I take care when making my buttons so they won't be too critical.

:D

Rob from Kew,

Make sure when you make your buttons there is a little bit of tension on the buttons and room to tighten them. You can always plane away a little bit of the button that contacts the table if the button is too loose.

Bob Willson
1st July 2005, 10:02 AM
I too would tend to over-engineer this part as people tend to pick tables up by their tops and this puts a big strain on itty bitty buttons that are supporting the under structure.

aabb
1st July 2005, 10:28 AM
Yes mate no glue you make the grove with an extra 1mm down to pull the top tight as you screw
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=10245&stc=1
if this isn't clear try me again tomorrow as I just had a big meal ( one of those theres no free meals meal )

Thanks Shore I understand now ;-)
Albert

Driver
1st July 2005, 11:32 AM
Driver and Outback,

I distinctly recall inviting both of you to my home when you hit Melbourne next. I thought that would have made it quite clear about the quality of people we have for dinner.

That's what I was trying to say! :D

Rob from Kew
4th July 2005, 10:37 AM
To All

Sorry I haven't replied earlier but I've been sick over the last few days.

It seems that no one is a fan of the metal clips in the shape of an elongated "S".

Is it because they don't allow for movement or the traditionists just see these as a simple/lazy option?

The table has taken me months to make and l'm starting to get lazy and as far as being simple...well... the kids think I've always been simple.

Thanks

Rob

la Huerta
23rd July 2005, 10:43 AM
when using buttons to attach a table top, do you make the grove in the rails the lenth of the rails or just a small slot where each button is going?

JB
23rd July 2005, 12:57 PM
Either, whichever you prefer the look of or is easier.

hcbph
23rd July 2005, 02:04 PM
You can also use pocket screws or figure 8's to attach the tabletop to the apron.

Bob Willson
23rd July 2005, 07:08 PM
The only problem with using pocket screws would be that they would hold the timber tightly and not allow any movement, which is why we use such things as the buttons.

Ashore
23rd July 2005, 10:09 PM
when using buttons to attach a table top, do you make the grove in the rails the lenth of the rails or just a small slot where each button is going?I usually run the groove along the rail leaving 150 mm each end ungrooved
I find it easier to do all 4 rails at once like this one set up of the router.
Individual slots will also work just more mucking about

Rgds
Russell

la Huerta
23rd July 2005, 10:21 PM
i have been doing seperate slots but doing one slot will allow the buttons to be placed wherever needed...the buttons do look best , more handmade, the metel ones look cheap...