PDA

View Full Version : Plate

Christos
30th September 2014, 11:11 AM
I was watching a video on the internet and saw a fellow turn a plate. So I thought that I might give it a go, after all the purpose of turning is to have fun.

This photo shows the plate having a curve. This is not as pronounced in reality as the photo indicates. The corners of the plate are just slightly higher about half a millimetre. What I missed at the time of making this plate is the thickness of the corners and the long running edge of the plate have about 1mm difference. Something to consider when you want to make one.

326872 326874

I have been told the wood is Spotted Gum. I have more of this and had made pens out of it but don't really like the way it comes up if the finish is shinny. So I used a bit of danish oil to give it some protection.

As this was just a practice piece I am not sure that I like it enough to give it away. Comments and criticism welcome.

artme
30th September 2014, 12:16 PM
Good one Christos!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I think the DO finish suits the timber perfectly.

wheelinround
30th September 2014, 03:42 PM
Christos well done now for the knife, fork and spoon :U

Like the shape look at a real plate they do not look level they curve up. If anything a little thinner around the edge would look better.

chuck1
30th September 2014, 05:57 PM
Looks good! Spotted gum is a oily timber to begin with.

jefferson
30th September 2014, 09:43 PM
Christos,

I've seen some spotted done in gloss at a retail outlet. Not sure what the finish was but it sure popped. That nice plate of yours might be well suited for it too.

Allen Neighbors
2nd October 2014, 11:25 AM
I like the square plate with the round footring to sit on. Good job! Like ^^ said above, I'd like to see it a little thinner at the edge, but still a fine piece. Danish Oil sure makes the color of the wood pop, doesn't it?.. :2tsup:
Al

Sawdust Maker
2nd October 2014, 09:51 PM
I'd go a little thinner

but looks the goods

Christos
3rd October 2014, 06:08 PM
Yeah I most definitely agree I should have gone thinner.

wheelinround
3rd October 2014, 10:37 PM
Stop eating so many ANZACS :q

Christos
4th October 2014, 06:59 AM
Stop eating so many ANZACS :q

That only happens during the wood work shows.

wheelinround
4th October 2014, 09:51 AM
That only happens during the wood work shows.

I'll make sure Sue doesn't bring them out when your around then .......or other nice things:q