PDA

View Full Version : Threaded Black Steel Pipe suppliers

daveylad
4th October 2014, 01:43 PM
I've been looking at making a brake drum forge and have finally now got a big truck braked Drum to make a start, I would like to know where I can get the black steel threaded pipe fittings, it looks like most of the videos on YouTube are using 2inch or 50mm pipes and hope you can help with what you guys have used
Thanks
Dave

Wrongwayfirst
4th October 2014, 02:45 PM
I would start with your local engeneering shop they are fairly common fittings as far as I know.
Cheers

DSEL74
6th October 2014, 09:40 AM
They always suggest plumbing supplies in the US videos. If you can weld you don't need threaded parts and then it is both cheap and easy to by from most steel merchants.

daveylad
8th October 2014, 12:17 AM
managed to get them today threaded for 3 pieces $30, had to order the T section in though, massive difference between Gal and Black steel $12 or Gal compared to $60 for Blacks steel at Metro steel

DSEL74
8th October 2014, 09:54 AM
Where is the photo? did you get the flange and caps?

daveylad
8th October 2014, 10:21 AM

No, I think looking at he size of the hole for the flange cap, (its a big Drum) I'll cut a round piece on the plasma and fit a grate over the hole it will make the coke area smaller. For the end I'll stick a timber bung in there for starters

Poloris
13th October 2014, 09:22 AM
I brought some 1" black steel pipe fitting from Blackwoods last week.
They were cheap and they welded nicely.
Mark

daveylad
13th October 2014, 10:26 AM

sat back and had a look at it and decided I need a smaller brake drum, out looking today.

DSEL74
13th October 2014, 10:59 AM
Try a brake rotor rather than the drum

daveylad
13th October 2014, 11:05 AM
Try a brake rotor rather than the drum

just got off the phone from some garages in the area and they said they has some rotor in their bins, great will grab a couple of them and see how they go
Thanks