PDA

View Full Version : a specific vl175 question...

Faulko
5th October 2014, 09:11 AM
Hi all,
seriously considering spending on more capable/quality lathe....i may have an opportunity at a vicmarc vl175 with a 1hp motor....i know that new they come with a bigger motor...i'm wondering how limiting the 1hp would really be, and how much torque it's got for roughing bigger imbalanced pieces....i doubt I'll be looking to rough out trees anytime soon, but by way of example, i had a 30cm diameter imbalanced piece of wet silky oak and my old hafco mc900 did not cope at all (almost tore the bench of the wall and the rotating headstock tried to rotate!). I would like my next lathe to cope with this - a slower min speed and good solid build....
So I'm after some indication of the limits of the 1hp vl175......

I have to admit i'm being tempted by the cougar (perhaps the bigger one), or the smaller version that gary pye has...feedback on those welcomed too as reviews seem hard to find...

and what about the harvey (laguna clone).....

I'm only a few years into my turning journey, but feel it's long term. More interest in bowls and hollowing, and with a bad back the rotating headstock (or sliding to the end of the bed) to allow better access/view is a real bonus for me.

thanks in advance:)

pommyphil
5th October 2014, 01:15 PM
Hi Faulko Mine is a 2001 model, small motor but I've never wished for more grunt. Outboard turning big 5-600mm platters I can stop it if I take to big a bite, but that just adds to the safety.

Probably underpowered for Core cutters/bowl savers, but I've never felt the need. If it's a good deal I'd go for it, great machine. Phil327314327315

Faulko
5th October 2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks Phil,

I guess it's one of those things..I covet a bowl saver to make the most of the wood I can get hold of...but a pipe dream at the moment.....the thought of a vicmarc is tempting. Will be interested in any comments on a cougar or the harvey....but i suspect the comments will be like yours...'your last lathe will be a vicmarc'....
I'm in newcastle..how far north are you?
thanks again.

Faulko
6th October 2014, 07:12 AM
Those platters look amazing. Looks like it can handle some big stuff....how's it going roughing out wood that hasn't been prepared on a bandsaw?

pommyphil
6th October 2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks Faulko. The closer you can balance blanks the safer it is, the lathe does not move but stuff can still fly ! Bandsaw, Chainsaw, even Table saw can be used to prepare wood, and chainsaw is handy for "foraging"

I don't buy wood. Phil

chuck1
6th October 2014, 08:43 AM
All the lathes I use are 1 hp and I rarely stall them! Even when I stupidity started up lathe with 2 metre post at 1800 rpm it didn't stall!
My old Hyco does stall due to my roughing down 90 by 90 spindle blanks.
one day my shed will have a Vic Marc in there!

BCC
6th October 2014, 08:59 AM
Hi Faulko,

I understand your dilemma. I ended up buying a Cougar 400 EVS quite recently and am very happy with it. I think I would have really liked to own a VicMarc due to its reputation and kudos but a reasonable priced 2nd hand one just didn't show up and I wasn't prepared to buy new. The Cougar ticked all my boxes (except not being a VM) with the EVS, the very easily rotated head (my back also has issues), 100mm quill travel, nice wide bed ways, 2HP motor, nice solid cam lock levers and the fact that it was new. I'm sure you win either way.

Bruce

Jim Carroll
6th October 2014, 09:28 AM
The Vicmarc VL175 with the 1hp motor is not a worry, everyone has this impression that you need lots of horsepower, but in reality you are wasting power.

You can still core quiet easily with the 1hp vicmarc it is the chinese variations that do not have enough grunt or real power out of the motor,

As with all lathes it comes down to the operator, listen to what is happening and you wont have any worries.

I would prefer a 2nd had Vicmarc to any of the other offerings you are looking at.

Faulko
6th October 2014, 01:01 PM
Hi Faulko,

I understand your dilemma. I ended up buying a Cougar 400 EVS quite recently and am very happy with it. I think I would have really liked to own a VicMarc due to its reputation and kudos but a reasonable priced 2nd hand one just didn't show up and I wasn't prepared to buy new. The Cougar ticked all my boxes (except not being a VM) with the EVS, the very easily rotated head (my back also has issues), 100mm quill travel, nice wide bed ways, 2HP motor, nice solid cam lock levers and the fact that it was new. I'm sure you win either way.

Bruce

I guess it'll depend a bit on price differential.....can you share your price on the cougar? thanks

Faulko
6th October 2014, 01:04 PM
The Vicmarc VL175 with the 1hp motor is not a worry, everyone has this impression that you need lots of horsepower, but in reality you are wasting power.

You can still core quiet easily with the 1hp vicmarc it is the chinese variations that do not have enough grunt or real power out of the motor,

As with all lathes it comes down to the operator, listen to what is happening and you wont have any worries.

I would prefer a 2nd had Vicmarc to any of the other offerings you are looking at.

Thanks Jim....maybe I just need to save a few more pennies..:)
There's a little surface rust on spots around levers and rotating headstock...shouldn't be too hard to clean up??

BCC
6th October 2014, 02:02 PM
For the Cougar 400 I paid $2,400 which included a set of 100mm jaws, chuck insert, $150 worth of blanks and no delivery charge since I picked it up from the wood show. Those additions seemed quite good. If I had found a VM for a similar price I would have had the selection dilemma. It sounds like you have the VM option anyway which is nice.

Bruce