PDA

View Full Version : Jacaranda Bowls

pommyphil
6th October 2014, 12:43 PM
Just playing with shapes. From slightly green Jac, around 150mm X 250mm. One wipe of WOP. Not happy with the rims. Comments welcome :) Phil

Faulko
6th October 2014, 01:20 PM
They all look good. I like the middle one the best for shape. I've just had a go at turning some jac for the first time....envious of this work.

wheelinround
6th October 2014, 01:51 PM
Phil like the shapes all of them but agree rim looks :rolleyes: then I saw the top part of the rim I'd be more inclined to remove that and make it flat thats me tho.

Pat
6th October 2014, 04:07 PM
Hello Phil, No 3's shape is the most appealing to me, but the rims don't flow with the shapes to me. As Ray said, a flat top would look better.

It's all subjective, what appeals to one, might look daft to another.

As long as you had fun playing, that is all that really matters.:2tsup:

george mavridis
6th October 2014, 04:30 PM
No 3 for me and I agree a flat top would look better.

mick59wests
6th October 2014, 08:05 PM
Phil,

how did you cut/turn these? The first two looks like the centre (pith) is running through the middle. Is that right? I have a bit of jacaranda (and the bottom of a tree to cut and collect when I can manage) so I'd be very interested in how to get some bigger bowls. BTW I also agree with the comments above.

cheers

Mick

powderpost
6th October 2014, 08:59 PM
Hi Phil, I like the second bowl, it has a pleasant fluid shape.

Jim

Kidbee
6th October 2014, 09:50 PM
Phil, I like them the way they are. They curve nicely and are skillfully done.

pommyphil
7th October 2014, 07:49 AM
Thanks for your kind comments everyone :) Mick, just bog standard mate, all three have the "pith" on or above the rim.

I cut this log before Easter, blocks just bigger than the diameter then halved through the "pith" painted endgrain and chucked them under the house. I turned these last week and they have only moved a couple of mm.

Jacaranda is very stable and a joy to cut. None of the blanks have cracked ! If you have plenty I'd try one with the center in, you might get away with it :rolleyes: Cheers Phil.

Christos
8th October 2014, 05:05 PM
I am tending towards the second but the third one reminds me of ancient Greek vase. A stumpy Greek vase. :)

I think the lip needs to be rounded unless you are going to make lids for them.

Well there are my thoughts.