PDA

View Full Version : 2 rules of renovating

Toggy
1st July 2005, 10:10 AM
2 rules that were re enforced with me yesterday were:-

1. on a cold morning when using nail punches & chisels; a mis-hit with the hammer is ALWAYS going to hurt the knuckles, ouch.

2, hidden nails, no matter how old they are; are always going to be tougher than electric planer blades.

Ah well, the walls are now straight & ready for plaster in that room. At least cleaning up a big pile of shavings today will be easier on man and machine. (I hope).

Ken

Bluegum
26th August 2005, 10:24 AM
Then theres the famous 3rd rule. No matter how many times you discuss the job, the minister for all things domestic will chage her mind at the last minute wanting it done some other way.

Bella
26th August 2005, 11:41 AM
Then theres the famous 3rd rule. No matter how many times you discuss the job, the minister for all things domestic will chage her mind at the last minute wanting it done some other way.

Hey!! That's not true! :(

HavinaGo
26th August 2005, 02:42 PM
Well it tended to be .. until I figured out that what I read from a drawing and what my better half saw in her mind did not match. In our place we now go round with big bits if cardboard or boxes or whatever to create a 3D approximation .. first! :)

JDub
26th August 2005, 02:44 PM
4th rule: Whatever you tell your wife its going to cost.... add 40-50% to get the REAL cost :p :D

Zed
26th August 2005, 02:49 PM
5th rule :

always allow more time than your initial guess-timation. (As in my case) I suggest the following formula:

IF 'job' = (2 'days')
AND 'days' = "weekend'
THEN multiply x 2

:D

elphingirl
26th August 2005, 07:11 PM
After owner-building a house, we now double both time and cost estimates for everything. Sometimes even that's not enough.