PDA

View Full Version : NZ Woods suitable for thread chasing

QuarkVI
7th October 2014, 05:20 PM
Hi All,

I am in the process of learning to chase threads by hand and so far have been practising on MDF (the MDF I have is a bit fuzzy in one direction but otherwise doing the trick). Looking to move onto some solid wood and was wondering if anyone could suggest any woods available in NZ that would work?

I don't have much of a collection of timber yet (beginner :U) so will probably need to buy/swap for some hence would be helpful if anyone has suggestions for the better timbers.

Once I get the hang of it I plan to make epoxy inserts in the softer woods. Also on the hunt for some corian offcuts to practise on but all the kitchen counter makers were closed last weekend.

thanks for the help
Robin

ian thorn
7th October 2014, 07:08 PM
Hi do you belong to a club that would be a good start they will be able to assist with your wood some of the members may have small bits you can use for practice, bt any of the harder wood that will hold a nice edge will do .

powderpost
7th October 2014, 08:58 PM
I can't help much with N.Z. timbers, but I have had good results from fruit tree timbers.

Jim

turnerted
8th October 2014, 05:22 PM
Just try saturating what ever you've got with CA glue.
Ted

QuarkVI
13th October 2014, 06:34 PM
thanks for the tip re CA glue ...

Had some NZ beech that I had tried chasing a thread on and had it crumbling on me so put on a couple of layers of thin CA (turning at 300 rpm, some CA on tissue) and then chased a bit till the threads were about half formed, repeated CA application and chased again. Seems to do the trick but I will need to refine when to put the CA on and how far I can turn before another application i.e. to ensure I have enough on the thread to support it.

Tomorrow I will try turning the male half and then do some destructive testing i.e. repeated opening and closing to see how well it lasts but see no reason to think it won't do.

I am also going to get hold of some black maire (~990kg/m^3) to see if that will hold a thread without the CA treatment - data sheets seem to indicate it is fine grained, dense and waxy/oily.

hughie
13th October 2014, 08:00 PM
Australia has some very dense timber that's well suited to thread chasing and from my sojourn in NZ some years ago. I dont remember any particular timber that stands out or comes to mind. But look for the most dense NZ had quite a few hard woods some are like Kauri. They maybe hard but not much chop for thread chasing
But there are few tricks you can use, such as try using beeswax as your cutting. Also go slow with difficult timbers 100 rpm or 150 rpm. You can soak the timber in CA but this doesn't always work, but its definitely worth trying .

http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=1359

if get really stuck contact these guys and I'm sure they will be able to give some of the best advice re NZ timber etc.

http://www.sawg.org.nz/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/sawg-News-200305.pdf

Mobyturns
14th October 2014, 09:59 AM
Do some research in the museums for old / antique wood turned items with threads like spinning wheels and presses made in NZ or the prized timbers for Maori carvings. Then look at the timbers the old timers used - there is your answer. Heavy old kauri (not swamp kauri) should do well, maybe totara?

rsser
20th October 2014, 12:18 PM
Look for fine grained timbers. I would expect a sound bit of beech would be ideal if we can judge by our Myrtle beech which is the kin of your beeches. You also have plantation Macrocarpa which could be good to practice on. The knots are a pill so aim for a clear piece.

chuck1
24th October 2014, 09:16 AM
Have you tried cherry beech? It turns really well but I have not tried thread chasing it. It may not be dense enough.

QuarkVI
24th October 2014, 05:13 PM
Silver beech was a fail, but haven't tried cherry. Tried a piece of matai with the grain going perpindicular to the lathe bed - that worked reasonably well - was on a piece of scrap so need to make a male/female piece to test further