PDA

View Full Version : Bangles and how I made them

Dalboy
7th October 2014, 11:29 PM
I enter a friendly competition on another forum. Well this month is a bangle having never turned one I thought how hard can it be so I had a couple of practice runs.
I found them very easy to do. One is Beech and the other Sapele

THIS (http://www.penturners.co.uk/misc/pdf/Projects/Bangle.pdf) is how I made them without the decoration. This is my way and if you feel uncomfortable mounting it in the chuck for the second half then you can always use a jam chuck

VikingCode
8th October 2014, 08:13 AM
They look really nice, and nice tutorial too. Make sure to enter them to Bangle Bowl (http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/bangle-contest/) which is running until the 22nd of this month.

Treecycle
8th October 2014, 09:46 AM
Nice bangles. What did you do the blue colouring with? It really sets that one off.
Great tutorial and I like the tip of using the rubber band on the jaws.

Dalboy
8th October 2014, 09:56 AM
Nice bangles. What did you do the blue colouring with? It really sets that one off.
Great tutorial and I like the tip of using the rubber band on the jaws.

Hope you understand my description.

The centre band I applied sander sealer to the bangle after I had used the skew to make the two lines for the extent of the coloured band. I then stuck some masking tape around and cut that to the lines removing the waste from the centre section. Now some people may find this strange but I reapplied some more sander sealer what this does is fill any gaps under the tape which helps stop any bleeding. Once dry a quick sand with fine paper just to rough the surface. I applied black stain once dry applied the iridescent paint removed the tape once all is dry and finished by burning the two lines with thin copper wire. Last but not least apply a finish.

turnerted
8th October 2014, 05:13 PM
Dalboy
I too like the one with the blue band.
It is interesting the variations around in making bangles.I think bangles should be made from endgrain rather than crossgrain as these appear to be.Making from crossgrain means that there will be two very weak points where the short grain is, unless you glue two pieces together at right angles. Women are not gentle when trying them on.
My technique is to jamb the rough blank between the face of the chuck and the live centre and bring into round.Mount the blank onto a carrier by running a bead of hotmelt glue round the perimeter of the face which was against the chuck . When the glue is set, bore out the centre with a hole saw with the pilot drill removed , These plugs are usefull as glue on chucks or at times I have made matching earrings from them.Radious the inside and and outside edges and sand as much as you can get at.Remove the bangle by zaping in a microwave oven then mount on the chuck in expansion mode using a strip of leather to prevent damage from the jaws then finish off the edges and sand .
I usually make about 10 at a time and using two carriers gives plent of time for the glue to harden.
Ted

Dalboy
9th October 2014, 07:29 AM
Dalboy
I think bangles should be made from endgrain rather than crossgrain as these appear to be.Making from crossgrain means that there will be two very weak points where the short grain is, unless you glue two pieces together at right angles. Women are not gentle when trying them on.
Ted

Endgrain can break just as easy and possibly in more places than the cross grain. There are metal inserts that can be used which would help the situation. Or as you say a minimum of two pieces glued at right angles. I would use three and the centre one would be of a contrasting wood.