PDA

View Full Version : Railway Line for Anvil

daveylad
8th October 2014, 10:35 AM
If anyone is interested I've been sourcing anvils and have looked a fair bit at Rail track as a use, I found that its hard to get especially here in Queensland (Sunshine Coast), for info I found a guy very helpful in Victoria details are
EMRAILS http://www.emrails.com.au/enquiries.php
*Street address:*
1257 / 1259 Ferntree Gully Road
SCORESBY, 3179, VICTORIA
*Postal Address:*
Private Bag 3, Ferntree Gully
VICTORIA, 3156, AUSTRALIA Toll free: 1800 804 276
Fax: 1300 735 348
Ph: 03 93111266
Fax: 03 93115322

Has some smaller pieces suitable and also heavy gauge

Marc
9th October 2014, 07:12 AM
Wow, 150k a meter!

You can certainly make a decent size anvil with 500 /700mm of that sort of rail

mike48
9th October 2014, 08:16 AM
When I was a trainee techo in 1968, our blacksmith shop cut me a 350mm piece of unused rail track on a metal bandsaw. Dont know how they got the track, as this was an aviation engineering organisation.

The 90 deg smooth corner of the bandsaw cut is good for some "operations".
I have three 1 1/4 holes in my piece, being the extreme end piece of a track when it is fishplate joined to the next track.
The non-cut end of my piece has a small bevel down on the rolling surface, as if to facilitate better mating of the rolling surface of one track to the next, and so as to reduce the "clackity clack" noise, I suppose?

I have used this as a small anvil for many years and can recommend it, as the steel is very tough but not brittle.

NCArcher
9th October 2014, 11:13 AM
I have a 1m long piece of 'work hardened' rail track. Weighs 52 kg. I am moving house soon and don't want to take it with me. Too much stuff to move as it is.
Free to a good home if anyone wants to pick it up from the Hunter Valley in NSW. I don't have anything to cut it either.

daveylad
9th October 2014, 11:26 AM
I have a 1m long piece of 'work hardened' rail track. Weighs 52 kg. I am moving house soon and don't want to take it with me. Too much stuff to move as it is.
Free to a good home if anyone wants to pick it up from the Hunter Valley in NSW. I don't have anything to cut it either.

let me check on the freight Cost, what are the dimensions

daveylad
9th October 2014, 11:28 AM

Whats the Post Code?

DSEL74
9th October 2014, 12:54 PM
I know where there is a heap of used rail sitting on the side of the tracks waiting for someone to bring a battery angle grinder or portable torch to cut into take home pieces in VIC.

daveylad
9th October 2014, 01:16 PM
I know where there is a heap of used rail sitting on the side of the tracks waiting for someone to bring a battery angle grinder or portable torch to cut into take home pieces in VIC.

about 2 ks from here theres miles of it too LOL to old these days

NCArcher
9th October 2014, 01:22 PM
let me check on the freight Cost, what are the dimensions roughly 150 x 150 x 1100

Whats the Post Code? 2330

Marc
9th October 2014, 07:55 PM
I have a piece of rail kicking around but it is the ordinary size and must say not very useful for anything that requires more than a small hammer to forge.
Having said that, THIS little monster would make a really good anvil
Check this out
http://www.emrails.com.au/images/products/A150.pdf

Machine the top flat, cut a horn on each side, grind one round .... uhuu, a lot of work but would look nice and sound good for sure!

daveylad
22nd October 2014, 07:21 PM
After getting fed up of waiting for responses from suppliers on the rail track I settled for a couple of forklift forks then had them cut to size at a local engineering shop to save my grinder, heres a couple of shots I now have to get some timber to mount them.328806328807328808

Pearo
22nd October 2014, 11:08 PM
I spotted some rail track for sale somewhere recently in SE Queensland. Its killing me now cause I cant remember where. I am pretty sure it was at a market, so probably caboolture markets.

daveylad
22nd October 2014, 11:13 PM
I've heard Caboolture markets are good for tools, have to get up early and try them out, thanks for that

Marc
24th October 2014, 06:58 AM
After getting fed up of waiting for responses from suppliers on the rail track I settled for a couple of forklift forks then had them cut to size at a local engineering shop to save my grinder, heres a couple of shots I now have to get some timber to mount them.328806328807328808

Good stuff!
Now you have to make a forge !

Cliff Rogers
24th October 2014, 09:30 AM
I got good heavy bit about 800 long at the scrap metal merchant, can't remember the price but it was very cheap 'cos they just sell it buy weight, not worth.

soundman
24th October 2014, 10:37 AM
You might try the larger scrap merchants for railway line. probaly in the capitol cities.

The smaller ones will not see it as they wont be getting a sniff of the contracts and they wont have the ability to handle the massive weights and volumes.

BTW the absolute limit for australia post is 30KG and many offices will only handle 20Kg.

cheers

daveylad
24th October 2014, 10:54 AM
Forge is finished and waiting for some coke to burn, the forklift tynes cost me $100 for the pair and $60 for cutting them into the different pieces. I'll stick with these until I come across a reasonable priced anvil or save for a new one. I've been looking on all the sites but not too sure on overseas import sites due to all the hassle of arranging the export from another country. I'm off to the UK next year and there much cheaper on there EBAy at about $400 for a heavy one then $300 to export to Aus. I'm going to go to the Blacksmith meet in Brisbane and look at the 95 kilo O'Dwyer one at $1200.

soundman
24th October 2014, 12:02 PM
If ya looking fo an anvil, you would be wise to keep a close eye on ebay.

There are quite a number on there at the moment.

heaps of pissy little jewlers anvils.....a few anvil shaped objects...a couple that look to be pretty well made out of railway line ..AND..a few real full sized anvils of reputable make and parentage.

There is a fairly decent railway line anvil running at $60...right up to a large, reputable, australian made item asking $1300.

Learn the lesson of the vulture....patience and diligence......keep circling, be quick off the mark & I recon you will get what you are looking for.

cheers

Marc
25th October 2014, 09:13 PM
Forge is finished and waiting for some coke to burn, the forklift tynes cost me $100 for the pair and $60 for cutting them into the different pieces. I'll stick with these until I come across a reasonable priced anvil or save for a new one. I've been looking on all the sites but not too sure on overseas import sites due to all the hassle of arranging the export from another country. I'm off to the UK next year and there much cheaper on there EBAy at about $400 for a heavy one then $300 to export to Aus. I'm going to go to the Blacksmith meet in Brisbane and look at the 95 kilo O'Dwyer one at $1200.

The quest to buy a good second hand anvil in OZ is an almost a hopeless one. Almost. There is always that luck factor.
As far as buying new from overseas, most manufacturers will ship for a decent price.

Marc
28th November 2014, 09:02 PM
If anyone in Sydney is determined to make an anvil with railway line, I have good news.
There is a scrap metal merchant in Riverstone that has a very large pile of crane railway line chopped in 3m lengths piled up 2 meters high.
The railway line is massive and has a web that is 40mm thick. This has some mass and will do a decent small anvil if you had the patience to cut it to shape and grind it to your liking.

The company is called All Steel Merchants - 02 9838 1533