PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Steam Traction Engine Club

neksmerj
8th October 2014, 08:27 PM
Anyone been out to the vintage engine museum, 1200 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby?

It looks like a pretty descent affair and worthy of a visit.

If I make it this weekend, I'll try and take some snaps.

Ken

Simplicity
8th October 2014, 08:38 PM
Never been there
But have driven past plenty of times
Would love to see some pics

malb
8th October 2014, 09:21 PM
Lots of nice goodies in the club sheds on the Eastlink side, starts with Steam gear, then oil and diesel, then workshop machinery and gear, Marine steam (engines and ancillary gear from a twin engine steam tug "Littleton", currently assembled but not plumbed, the steering engine is operating on compressed air, boilers in open storage on other side of the display ring, engine room section of hull in two pieces in the parts heap). One (of two onsite) Fowler ploughing engines in workshop undergoing boiler overhaul.

There is a new shed on the Wheelers Hill side of the display arena near the toilet block accommodating the other (running) plowing engine and a host of tractors, cranes, and mobile steam engines etc through to rotary hoes, some running, some under restoration, some waiting their turn.

Along the same side and moving toward the back of the site there is a range of sheds housing member owned machinery of all types, including a blacksmiths workshop. Toward the back of the site is a sandpit and a range of full size Tonka toys. They had a lot of these running on the Sunday after Grand Final day which was an earthmoving display day. Don't know if they go out to play most Sundays or just the special days.

Most Sundays they get something up and running on the display arena, Traction engines, steam, oil, diesel rollers, tractors, old trucks etc. There is a tractor and coach trailer and a 12 in gauge railway running around the site on Sundays. Pride of place on the arena is the Rapier walking dragline salvaged from the Latrobe Valley open cuts, not sure whether they fire it up every week or special events, but it is worth spending half an hour watching them get it started, warmed up and walking.

All up there is a lot there and I find I can spend 4-5hrs there twice a year and not get bored. Wouldn't mid moving my big shed there if we sell up, they are a very friendly bunch.

neksmerj
8th October 2014, 09:47 PM
Hi Melb, your description makes it sound irresistible, guess where I'm going this Sunday?

Steam whisperer, have you been there?

Ken

Steamwhisperer
9th October 2014, 06:55 AM
Hi Melb, your description makes it sound irresistible, guess where I'm going this Sunday?

Steam whisperer, have you been there?

Ken

Hi Ken,
I have been there several times and it is well worth the visit.
I have just spent all morning looking for some pics and can't locate them :((
The search continues
You are going to love Sunday.

Phil

DSEL74
9th October 2014, 01:03 PM
There is some pics on the website
http://www.melbournesteam.com.au/

On the last Sunday of each month many of our 400 engines are fired up at the National Steam Centre.

There are always one or two steam rollers or traction engines in steam, the stationary museum steams up, the big diesels and the vintage workshop also put on a display.

There are over 400 engines and associated exhibits in the Melbourne Steam Traction Engine Club exhibition sheds.

The grounds and museum are open 11am till 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays (except the Christmas - New Year period.)

Ray39
14th October 2014, 03:53 PM
Hi All
I am actually a member of the Melbourne Steam Traction Engine club and have often thought I should write something here about our activities, but as usual never got around to it. There are quite a few of us down there on a Thursday working away on various projects so if anyone feels like dropping in please introduce yourselves and I will show you around, plus we are always looking for new members. If anyone has any questions fire away and I will try and answer them.

Cheers
Ray

DSEL74
14th October 2014, 07:10 PM
Hi Ray I was just talking to some fellas today and they suggested you guys may sell coke as fuel. Is that correct?

neksmerj
14th October 2014, 08:15 PM
The weather was perfect, and at first my heart sank, I thought the museum was closed, not one other car in the car park at 2pm.

To my surprise it was open, I just happen to pick the wrong Sunday to go. It seams the last Sunday of the month is the day to go for operational machines apart from special open days.

In a way this was good, I had the run of the place to myself, and I was not disappointed.
Got to chat to a bloke fixing up a steam injector on an old tractor, something I couldn't flat do flat on my back upside down.

I urge all machinery lovers to get along on the last monthly Sunday, they need patronizing.

I took many pics, but here's just a few. You could easily take hundreds of snaps.

Ken

argeng
14th October 2014, 08:54 PM
On East link this is maybe 5 mins from my place so I need to go. I have driven past heaps and always have a sticky beak from East Link.
On another note my nephew is the chairman of the Diamond Valley miniature railway and they are having an open day on the 25th, guided tour of the yards and work shop for me.:D
Cheers Bruce

Ray39
15th October 2014, 11:22 AM
Hi
We don't have a Coke supply our Blacksmith has organized enough to keep him going, but unfortunately Coke is becoming rare.

Ray

malb
15th October 2014, 11:48 AM
Hi Ken, There is no real way to know what is happening at the museum on general Sundays but as you found, the last Sunday of the month or special open days are the best time to see a lot of things operating. But then a lot of the mobile gear is out of sheds and fired up for display and the general public can't get up close and personal with machines and crews for OHS reasons.

I find with things like the museum or other tech things, a pre visit when things are quiet gives a good chance to get up close and personal, have a good look, take detail photos etc, with a follow up visit on a running or open day to see the gear operating and get action pics etc. Or, of course, reverse the sequence, visit on the running/open day then on a normal Sunday. Either way it is well worth a couple of visits.