PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi VFD & Spindle

grunto
9th October 2014, 09:00 AM
I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience in connecting a Hitachi VFD to a spindle. The VFD is a X200 but the spindle is non-descript and I don't Know much about it (other than the fan is attached to the shaft). I bought them as a pair at a clearance sale - there was not information provided but I have managed to get a manual for the VFD. The spindle is the great unknown!

Grant

grunto
9th October 2014, 11:39 AM
I am also trying to source a plug for the spindle. The socket is three pin but I can only find 2 pin or 4 pin at Jaycar. Does anyone know where I can get a three pin plug? Or is this why so many spindles have 4 pin sockets with one pin unconnected?

Grant

Ch4iS
9th October 2014, 12:06 PM
Looks to be the same as mine

Up top you have your L1, N and Ground for single phase input.

Down bottom you have the U, V, W which go to your 3 pins on the spindle, if you wire them up in the wrong order the spindle will run backwards, just switch a pair to make it run forward. Ground goes to the spindle chassis.

Might as well get a better plug if you're finding a replacement, element-14 ect. should have something more suitable than the mic plugs they use on the spindles.

grunto
9th October 2014, 01:30 PM
Looks to be the same as mine

Up top you have your L1, N and Ground for single phase input.

Down bottom you have the U, V, W which go to your 3 pins on the spindle, if you wire them up in the wrong order the spindle will run backwards, just switch a pair to make it run forward. Ground goes to the spindle chassis.

Might as well get a better plug if you're finding a replacement, element-14 ect. should have something more suitable than the mic plugs they use on the spindles.

Ch4iS,

I was wondering about the mic plug set up! - will take your advice and get a better plug.

I would be interested in the VFD configuration you used if you are willing to share. Might as well start from a known base.

Thanks,

Grant

Ch4iS
9th October 2014, 04:43 PM
Ch4iS,

I was wondering about the mic plug set up! - will take your advice and get a better plug.

I would be interested in the VFD configuration you used if you are willing to share. Might as well start from a known base.

Thanks,

Grant

It's been some time since I've set it up so cannot say what they are from memory, also I've replaced the 1.5kw air cooled spindle with a different motor so my setting may differ from yours.

You mentioned they were purchased as a pair, could it already be programmed to run the spindle? if not probably best to do a factory reset and then follow the power on test guide (in the manual) which will get you up and running.

If it is a 1.5KW spindle, the settings should be the same as below
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-FOUR-BEARING-ER11-1-5KW-AIR-COOLED-SPINDLE-MOTOR-ENGRAVING-MILLING-GRIND-/260995093588?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc4851454

The settings could also be laser etched on the side of the spindle.

warrick
10th October 2014, 10:49 AM
Check out this thread for a plug replacement

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f170/spindle-plug-159747/#post1558460

Warrick

grunto
10th October 2014, 08:38 PM
Check out this thread for a plug replacement

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f170/spindle-plug-159747/#post1558460

Warrick

Warrick,

Thanks - I will check out those connectors. Like the idea that they are actually rated for 230V!!

Grant