PDA

View Full Version : large Camphor Laurel platter

Willy Nelson
10th October 2014, 04:36 PM
Good Afternoon
A fair while ago, I was offered the root ball of a massive Camphor Laurel tree. I invited the club and we took approximately 14 trailer loads away. Ironically, the owner paid $7,000 to have the trunk and crown taken away and we missed out. :(( Anyhoo, I promised the owner I would make something for his family, which I have done, I hope to drop it up to him on the weekend
It is approximately 400 across. The finish is Danish Oil
Cheers

Willy
Camphor Laurel Land

wheelinround
10th October 2014, 05:25 PM
If you guys took 14 trailer loads away there must have been some trunk I bet they also sold it to make a further $7k

Christos
10th October 2014, 05:36 PM
Great job on the platter.

I am still getting my head around $7000.00 to drop and take a tree away.

Willy Nelson
10th October 2014, 06:30 PM
The rootball was massive. Possibly 2 1/2 to 3 meters across. Him and his dad had been digging and sawing for months with a little saw. I turned up with the Mighty Stihl 660 Magnum, with the 36 inch bar and cut the remainder in a couple of hours. He had his whole family and friends to watch us cut it up, then put on a BBQ.

Ironically, the owner had contacted a nearby wood turning club and offered them the tree. They declined!!! When I heard about it, I thought it would be okay, but EVERYONE exaggerates how big trees really are. Well, we were blown away when I say saw it. I took a heap of photos and posted them in the Small Tree Milling section but I am not familiar with posting the links here, so if some can find them, that would be great
Cheers

Jakeb
14th October 2014, 10:44 PM
Willy, u have turned some great bowls!
Can I ask where abouts you are based?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Willy Nelson
16th October 2014, 11:40 PM
Willy, u have turned some great bowls!
Can I ask where abouts you are based?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of course you can, I am based in Perth, WA. And thanks