PDA

View Full Version : fireproofing candlestick holders

ribot
1st July 2005, 05:13 PM
If I made a candle stick, what could I use to make the cavity fireproof when the candle burns down to the bottom? if you know what I mean.
There is probably a product allready mass produced, and prease do tell me about them, however is there an other way around this problem? I know brass is turnable or can some sheet metal be shaped on the lathe? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Baz
1st July 2005, 05:31 PM
Ribot, candle cups are available from Carba-Tec, page 194 in their cattle dog.
Cheers
Barry

ubeaut
1st July 2005, 05:50 PM
There are inserts made from brass for these, Try Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies. I have also used 25mm metal pipe cut into small lengths and inserted into the hole and have used brass eyelets used for canvas. These are about 30mm wide at the top and fit into a 22mm hole or there abouts, they sit flush with the top of the timber. All work extremely well. We had a heap of curved metal dishes made in a couple of sizes, some had short bits of the 25mm pipe welded on to the top centre and others had long nails throught them and tack welded, will try and take a couple of pics and post them some time for you.

Cheers - Neil :)

DanP
1st July 2005, 06:16 PM
prease

Ah so!

ribot
2nd July 2005, 12:20 PM
Very observant DanP, no bull, about 30 yrs ago I had a friend who worked in a Japanese car sales yard. They imported genuine car parts, anyway he removed a sticker from a fully imported car door, the tag read.

"One left flont door." I kid you not.

ribot
2nd July 2005, 12:22 PM
Oh yea, Thanks guys.

Jeff
3rd July 2005, 01:29 PM
I use soapstone. I cut out a round section with a hole saw sans pilot bit on my drill press, drill a recess in the back for my chuck, then turn it on the lathe. I can also use my index system to rout some detail work with my dremel. I get the material 1" thick from stone and tile suppliers. Soapstone turns pretty well at slow speeds, I use an old set of turning chisels, but it would be better if a set of carbide tip tools were handy.

TimberNut
4th July 2005, 10:52 AM
Here's one of mine with the brass inserts from Carbatec. They came up good, and are a nice cheap easy option.

Beware, I could be wrong, but I understand it is illegal in NSW (not sure about the rest of Oz) to make and sell any candlestick holder that doesn't contain a brass insert or similar.

Ian

ribot
4th July 2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks. It is the legalities that concern me.

old logger
8th July 2005, 05:34 AM
I just pick up inserts from my local hardware dealer.they are slightly tapered so to get a tight fit I have a 15/16 spade bit,ground down to 13/16 on the wings.this gives me a nice fit,so if down the road the wood warps then the insert locks in tight.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th July 2005, 12:08 AM
The commercial inserts available are nice, but if you want something a bit more customised it really doesn't take much to make your own.

My li'l bro is an air-con mechanic and as such has lotsa off-cuts of copper pipe in both plumbing & air-con sizes. As one is sold by inside dia & the other by outside, it's a simple matter to cut one to length and slip a small ring of the other over the outside as a collar. Being copper, it can even be carefully turned for some extra variety, although I suggest soldering double-thicknesses for this.

Another option, if you can cut glass, is to cut down the necks of bottles. An old VB long-neck does the job nicely. ;) These can be as short as a commercial insert or you can make them quite lengthy as a wind-shield sort of thing.

My favourite was made from slender frosted glass bottles that, with yellow candles, looked like a bunch of Arum lilies...

ribot
14th July 2005, 06:04 PM
Ok, I think I like the VB version. Bugger! no empties.
Oh well, back to the old drawing b/ room.
Cheers!