PDA

View Full Version : Side Table

brendan stemp
11th October 2014, 05:13 PM
A local farmer was having a special birthday and his wife approached me to make him a present. We decided to use some timber that was cut on his property some years back. It was dry enough. It was up to me to come up with the "what" part of the project and decided on a small side table. I think this is what they are called. It is the sort of table you put next to your favourite lounge chair; a place to rest your stubby and the remote control.

This is the result. All components were turned. The timber is the most awful red gum I have ever had to deal with. All sorts of blemishes including an enormous witchety grub hole that needed a bucket of filler to fill. Bottom section of legs is made from yellow box burl.

artme
11th October 2014, 09:30 PM
Glad you persisted Brendan. The result is real eye candy!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The design gives it a robust but slightly delicate look. Love it!!!:)

mick59wests
11th October 2014, 09:38 PM
Brendan,

Love the table, but did you really need to fill the hole? I am an order (or perhaps many) of magnitudes down the scale from your turnings but I quite like seeing holes and blemishes unless they make the piece structurally unsound.

cheers

Mick

PS: My birthday is coming up :D:D

powderpost
11th October 2014, 09:57 PM
That is a nice Job Brendon..

Jim

chuck1
11th October 2014, 10:55 PM
Impressive!!I like to leave or high light what mother nature puts into some of the timber!

brendan stemp
15th October 2014, 09:11 PM
Brendan,

Love the table, but did you really need to fill the hole? I am an order (or perhaps many) of magnitudes down the scale from your turnings but I quite like seeing holes and blemishes unless they make the piece structurally unsound.

cheers

Mick

PS: My birthday is coming up :D:D
Fair point Mick, but when I am making something for someone I don't know all that well I take a more conservative approach. So I filled in the voids.

george mavridis
15th October 2014, 09:25 PM
I quite like it, it looks elegant without being over the top. Could this be a new side to the business Brendan?

Bluegum
16th October 2014, 08:57 PM
Looks great there Brendan really impressive.