PDA

View Full Version : sawdust brickette

shayrebel
1st July 2005, 08:03 PM
i produce sufficient sawdust to warrant possibly making them into brickettes for burning in fireplaces(personal use only),now does anyone know of a binding glue that i can use and is cheap

ozwinner
1st July 2005, 08:15 PM
This has been asked before, no one has yet got the answer.

If you find the solution we will all be glad to hear it.

Al :)

echnidna
1st July 2005, 08:41 PM
I reckon 9 parts water to 1 part pva will do the job as long as the bricks are clamped till the glue dries.

ozwinner
1st July 2005, 08:43 PM
Tryed it, also tryed shellac.

Dont work.

Al :(

echnidna
1st July 2005, 08:48 PM
What about flour and water??

Douglas Fir
1st July 2005, 08:48 PM
Maybe try over cooked rice. ever try to get it off a pot when it dries?? Apparently they have dug up old houses in China that used rice as mortar for bricks.

Just George
1st July 2005, 08:53 PM
There is an "Innovations" catalog available but I'm not sure where to get them though. You can buy from this catalog a "press" for making brickettes made from newspaper. Getting a catalog would be handy just to see the "press".........

Woody;)

ozwinner
1st July 2005, 08:54 PM
It was rice flour mixed in with the regular mortar, makes it go real hard.

So does lemonade, the fizzy type. I guess they didnt have fizzy drinks way back then. :(

ozwinner
1st July 2005, 08:56 PM
There is an "Innovations" catalog available but I'm not sure where to get them though. You can buy from this catalog a "press" for making brickettes made from newspaper. Getting a catalog would be handy just to see the "press".........

Woody;)
Try here.
http://www.innovations.com.au/

Al :D

Just George
1st July 2005, 09:03 PM
It was rice flour mixed in with the regular mortar, makes it go real hard.

What sort of morat are you talking about?
Would it work if you combined newspaper, water and sawdust? This would take care of all those weekend newspapers we all seem to collect(for the weekend classifieds to find tools/timber) and the sawdust we create when we aren't looking at those classifieds.

Woody:)

Grunt
1st July 2005, 09:08 PM
Google is your friend.

Check this thread. 'Fire Brick' about halfway down.
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/739605551/m/678106888/r/233109298

Also, some people were using wax mixed with the sawdust.

soundman
2nd July 2005, 12:53 PM
I remember the combustabrick maker from the early eighties.
You just used paper and water. If you combined the wood dust with paper I don't think you would have any problems. There is no glue or binder in most simple paper it just sticks together.
Try 50/50 wood dust & shredded paper soaked in a plastic bin overnight & compact in some sort of press. Like the ones probably still offered by the direct marketers.
I think it was KTEL who had the press originaly.
cheers

scooter
2nd July 2005, 03:39 PM
A bit of research on pellet stoves could help, they are a combustion heater that uses sawdust pellets for fuel. The pellets are fed to the heater using an integral screw feed.

They are reputed to be very efficient, and are in use in Canada IIRC.

May be able to track down a mob that makes the pellets for some info.

Cheers.............Sean, screw fed and happy ;)

Wood Butcher
2nd July 2005, 09:00 PM
The industrial briquette machines use only high pressure to compact the briquettes together. The only problem is that they also cost around $40k for the cheap ones. I suppose that wax could be useful, but be careful, It is extremely volatile near heat.

Try this:-
http://www.al-ko.de/lufttechnik_engl/absaugtechnik/produkte/entsorgung/

Woodcharlie
27th March 2009, 08:24 AM
Glue may be toxic. Why not use non toxic wax. If you use sufficient pressure the sawdust should "plasticize" and form a brick.

GraemeCook
27th March 2009, 10:14 AM
Glue may be toxic. Why not use non toxic wax. If you use sufficient pressure the sawdust should "plasticize" and form a brick.

Wow, a thread resurrected after four years.

Why bother with briquettes. We just put sawdust and shavings in large paper bags, and stick them in the slow combustion stove. Burn fine.

Cheers

Graeme

soundman
27th March 2009, 10:33 AM
Beware the living dead:o

Was will act as an accelerant and will reduce the burn time of the brick.

there is no need to add anything but paper in a decent portion... even saw dust that has got damp and lest in a pile will clump and stick together with no preasure.

most paper is made without glue or binders.

So all you realy need to do is mix up you wood waster with some shredded paper soak it well and give it a bit of a squash.....seriouly the biggest issue is drying the bricks before they go mouldy.

cheers

Woodwould
27th March 2009, 01:51 PM
Peat briquettes were big in Ireland and a friend there made a briquette press and sold the produce by the truck load.

I looked over the press and it was nothing more than a pipe fed by a huge hopper containing peat of a certain M/C. The peat was compressed in the pipe by an hydraulic ram and came out of the other end looking like highly polished ebony and was as hard as coal. It was then bound into managable 'bales' with plastic strapping.

When I lived in England, I also used to see similar briquettes made from sawdust and they looked like they had been produced by a similar process.

dr4g0nfly
28th March 2009, 06:46 AM
I don't know how much this will help but this Rojek machine used Hydraulic pressure.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=582180&name=rojek&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

now you asked for a cheep glue solution and this is very expensive, but it strikes me that it must be possible to get a old press and a a former and .... well - just maybe, not really my field but I knew this machine existed.

soundman
28th March 2009, 11:10 AM
we all know that you can get almost anything to form up into a brick if you apply enough preasure.... but I don't think anybody is about to go to that expense to make bricks out of wood waste from their home workshop.

It is reasonable to expect that people may use one of the already available paper brick presses or build a simple form and lever press.

cheers

Rattrap
28th March 2009, 12:19 PM
might be an old thread but its 1 that any of us in a cooler climate think about regularly!