PDA

View Full Version : timber sealer

mat_au
14th October 2014, 03:40 PM
i am sealing the outside of my wet bowls with timber sealer from caltex (not sure whats its called) it says it lasts a year. just wondering if it goes off? it looks fine to me still a milky white color

ogato
14th October 2014, 05:40 PM
If my experience is anything to go by, your endgrain timber sealer should last for many years. I brought a couple of drums of 'Endcheck' 4 or 5 years ago on ebay (so it was already some years old), and it still looks and works just fine today.

Jeff

artful bodger
14th October 2014, 05:40 PM
We use to get a similar sealer from an oil refinery here, it was called log end sealer. You used it on green cut logs , turning blanks and fresh cut boards to minimise splitting during the drying out process. Not sure about using it for green turned bowls though. I thought you could make do by packing the bowl in its own shavings to slow the drying process. The sealer might seal in the moisture too much.
Not claiming to be an expert on green turned bowls though, sure you will get more advice here.

mat_au
14th October 2014, 06:48 PM
i just seal it on the outside, it works really we and dont have to worry about finding room for all those bags :D

We use to get a similar sealer from an oil refinery here, it was called log end sealer. You used it on green cut logs , turning blanks and fresh cut boards to minimise splitting during the drying out process. Not sure about using it for green turned bowls though. I thought you could make do by packing the bowl in its own shavings to slow the drying process. The sealer might seal in the moisture too much.
Not claiming to be an expert on green turned bowls though, sure you will get more advice here.

shedbound
14th October 2014, 07:11 PM
i use the caltex stuff, and also seal the outside of my rough turned blanks. I have had my sealer for a couple of years now, and decant a couple of litres at a time into smaller containers, i find sometimes it forms a skin on top, and the smaller containers that get opened regularly get rather thick but it still works fine.

hughie
14th October 2014, 08:34 PM
When I turn green bowls I paint BLO on the outside and store the bowls in a cardboard box. Then place in a cool place, check on them weekly for the first 4-6 weeks after that leave em till dry. Depend in what species your will depend how long and how well it all goes.

dai sensei
14th October 2014, 08:41 PM
Careful using end sealer on bowls, it is made for logs where the ends are later cut off, as it often stains/disfigures the timber. Better to use wax IMHO

brendan stemp
14th October 2014, 09:00 PM
Careful using end sealer on bowls, it is made for logs where the ends are later cut off, as it often stains/disfigures the timber. Better to use wax IMHO

My thoughts to the letter.