PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking at Home DVD Magazine

Grunt
2nd July 2005, 12:54 AM
I read Dean's review on Woodworking at Home DVD Magazine when he first posted it (last year?) . http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/woodworkingathome.htm

I was thinking about subscribing but never got a round to it. I downloaded the Gr-ripper video demo video and noticed that it was done by the same bloke who did does the Woodworking at Home DVD Mag.

Has anyone subscribed to it and if you have what do you think?

I'm sick of Norm repeats and never seem to manage to catch David Marks.

Trent The Thief
2nd July 2005, 03:10 AM
I haven't subscribed, but it sure looks like good.

David Marks's Wood Works hasn't been renewed.

But go by videos.google.com and search for "David Marks".

Google has some plan to start providing shows. I don't know how good the output quality will be, even though they require NTSC-grade source material.

Harry72
2nd July 2005, 08:34 AM
I received my 1st issue yesterday, from what I've seen so far it seems quite good things are explained well and is spoken very clearly... but I cant compare it to other shows/dvd mags as I dont have payTV or a good newsagent.
One thing I did notice the compare gives/shows you several ways of achieving the same results with different tools... very handy I thought.

The NTSC format is good enough for this type of stuff, its clear and the sound is good easy to navigate too!

Simomatra
2nd July 2005, 09:25 AM
:cool:

I also reeived my first copy yesterday. Delivered 7 days after placing the subscription. The quality is good and different tecniques are explained approx 2.5 hour of viewing.

Its as good as any of the cable tv shows that are around maybe a little better

I have a sony DVD player which is very fussy but it played this DVD no problems

Sam

DPB
2nd July 2005, 09:40 AM
Received my first copy earlier this week, only one week after subscribing. I love the concept, and found my first issue very good. I've recommended it to a number of my woodworking buddies - hoping to earn a few free issues.:D If you subscribe, be sure to quote my ID number as the referee #8259 ;) :D :D

Simomatra
2nd July 2005, 09:49 AM
I haven't subscribed, but it sure looks like good.

David Marks's Wood Works hasn't been renewed.

But go by videos.google.com and search for "David Marks".

Google has some plan to start providing shows. I don't know how good the output quality will be, even though they require NTSC-grade source material.
The link to David Marks homepage is

http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks.asp

Sam

burn
2nd July 2005, 10:36 AM
I'll echo all the comments so far about Woodworking at Home.
I have them all and am most happy about the content and presentation.
Being able to see a project being made is much better than attempting to guess at an author's intent in some written plans. The projects on Woodworking at Home have all the plans for the projects on the DVD, so one does need a PC with DVD or mate with one.

I even like the 'ads' thrown in.

Regards
Burn

PS. I forgot to mention, a big THANKS to Dean for finding this one in the first place.

craigb
2nd July 2005, 10:38 AM
Numbat kindly loaned me issue #15 the other day to have a look at to see what it was like.

I thought that it was not bad.

The main project was for a serving tray which I thought was a bit basic but it was well presented.

As a non turner, I found the guy doing the turned wine caddy very enlightening as he demonstrated quite a few techniques in the course of making it.

There's also an old bloke showing how to make a moulding plane. This is a two parter and will be finished in the next issue. What was interesting was that he was only using hand tools to make it. Definitely one for the darksiders. :)

I'll probably subscribe.

Cheers
Craig

numbat
2nd July 2005, 01:59 PM
There was a discussion on it here http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=18639&page=1&pp=15

I too also subscribe and think that it is worthwhile.

Craig there are many more complicated projects in the earlier DVD's some are quite useful like a mitre saw cabinet and also a router table for the table saw. Also quite nice furniture. You can buy all the back issues except Vol 3 - which I hope will eventually become available.

It would be nice to get some Aussie woodworkers work in the Bragging Rights section.

They could also come to Oz and see some of the great timbers we get to work with.

Cheers

Grunt
2nd July 2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks Numbat,

I stopped reading that thread after it first started 'coz I was real busy. I didn't realise the thread went on to discuss the DVD mag. It explains why several people in this thread said they ordered their issue last week.

Auld Bassoon
3rd July 2005, 08:31 PM
I read Dean's review on Woodworking at Home DVD Magazine when he first posted it (last year?) . http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/woodworkingathome.htm

I was thinking about subscribing but never got a round to it. I downloaded the Gr-ripper video demo video and noticed that it was done by the same bloke who did does the Woodworking at Home DVD Mag.

Has anyone subscribed to it and if you have what do you think?

I'm sick of Norm repeats and never seem to manage to catch David Marks.
Hi Grunt!

I recently (about three weeks ago I think) subscribed to the U.S. publication WW@H, and Friday last I received the first DVD. Good value, and an informative edition. For me, definately worth it. Chris DeHut does a good (if a bit abbreviated) explanation of everything he does. Some of the guest presenters are clearly not professional T.V. types, - but what they say does have some weight of authority.

O.k, that's after just one issue, but from what I've seen, I'm a happy subscriber.

Cheers!
Steve B