PDA

View Full Version : NZ Symposium IG entry

Mobyturns
16th October 2014, 10:51 PM
Recently I attended the NZ Woodturning Symposium near Auckland and submitted these to the Instant Gallery exhibition. It was an honor to have Joey Richardson, Cynthia Gibson & Ken Wraight select my goblet for inclusion into the IG critique session on the Saturday evening.

The idea for the storage and display of my Lin Lam spin tops was appropriated from Jacques Vesery & helps to keep the desirable spin tops from finding an unintended new home. All photos were taken by Dick Veitch and supplied on a CD of the IG, WoW swap and Auction pieces available (NZ$20) from the South Auckland Woodturners Guild http://www.sawg.org.nz/ IG photos are available at http://www.sawg.org.nz/test/nggallery/page/8

This piece along with three spin tops (separate auction item) were donated to the charity auction in aid of the St John's organization in NZ.

And this was my swap piece in an exchange with turners from the World of Woodturners internet forum,

chuck1
17th October 2014, 08:06 AM
That is excellent! I must try and get to a symposium one day! Did you do your glue up before you left or at the symposium?

Mobyturns
17th October 2014, 08:31 AM
That is excellent! I must try and get to a symposium one day! Did you do your glue up before you left or at the symposium?

The glue ups are done in stages and left to cure & dry months before I intend to turn them. I do this mainly to let the moisture content equalize through the whole blank. The NZ Symposium is a watch the demonstrator event rather than a participation style event.

Always Turnfest each year on the Gold Coast at the end of March & the NZ Symposium is every second year.

QuarkVI
17th October 2014, 08:31 AM
Those tops are gorgeous - I think I have found this weekend's project :U maybe that is optimistic, how about next fortnight for one rough example.

thanks for sharing

BamBam53
17th October 2014, 07:55 PM
Congratulations on getting selected for the critique. It was a great symposium and I am looking forward to the next one.

Mobyturns
17th October 2014, 10:26 PM
Congratulations on getting selected for the critique. It was a great symposium and I am looking forward to the next one.

It was a very good & quite intimate symposium. Terry, Dick & the whole SAWG team did an excellent job. Hopefully I will get back for the next one.

Evanism
27th December 2014, 02:46 AM
I really like the tops in the eggcups.

How did you make them? I can't work out how you managed to make the triangles so neat.

Allan at Wallan
28th December 2014, 09:10 AM
Well done!

If Ken Wraight reckons your goblet was worthy of
consideration then it must have been excellent.:H

Allan