PDA

View Full Version : Health Circumstances need to sell.

PenTurner
18th October 2014, 06:01 PM
Dear fellow Pen Turners.
Because of extreme circumstances with my health (Cancer), I need to sell up what I have, .
I know that we have buy and sell on the Woodwork Forum, but it is too stressful for me to enumerate and collate
the many blanks and tools, and metal lathe, and drill/milling machine and Band saw and-----
So if you have a specific need, just email or pm me.
I did sell/give quite a lot and had kept some for me, but now my back is to the wall.
For the many friends I have made, and who have helped me tremendously with information, thank you so very much, may God bless you for your help.
I remain your fellow pen turner, Amos:)

Ironwood
18th October 2014, 06:34 PM
Amos, I was only thinking this morning that its been a while since I saw you post on the forum.
I feel lost for words after hearing your news. I will be thinking positive thoughts in your direction, stay strong Mate.

I hope you find good homes for your much loved gear. Its a bit hard to know what you have that you want to sell.
If its not too stressful for you, maybe it would be helpful just to take a few group photos of the stuff you have and post them here, then people could contact you if they see something they like.

MBUMIK
18th October 2014, 07:36 PM
Amos, i am very sorry to hear of your illness, keep a positive attitude mate, it helps

my thoughts are with you

i agree with Ironwood on the generalized pickies of what you are wishing to sell

MIK

DSEL74
18th October 2014, 07:53 PM
Amos, Very sorry to hear your news both health wise and need to part with your passions.

I'm not that far away if you need any help collating your gear or cleaning it up for sale etc, or anything I can give you a hand with please let me know.

george mavridis
18th October 2014, 08:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your health Amos.

dai sensei
18th October 2014, 09:06 PM
So sorry to hear Amos, especially when I missed seeing you on my last visit to Melb. Hang in there mate and keep the chin up, stay positive and fight like hell, don't let the barmaids win.

As for your gear, make sure you get decent prices, hit anyone who tries to get stuff for a steal.

Simplicity
18th October 2014, 09:14 PM
Amos.
I've never meet you
Yet I feel sorry to hear of your circumstances
Please please keep using this forum for as long as you feel you can
And for what ever reason you can
Matt

Treecycle
18th October 2014, 09:39 PM
Amos, this is not a post I am sure anyone wanted to see here. Knowing what a kind and generous person you, hurts even more.
I just hope there is some positive news for you down the track, so until then our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Hopefully you can take up Dale's offer to show your gear in the best possible light, so that people can see how it was cherished by its master.

artme
18th October 2014, 09:51 PM
Amos, I can only echo the thoughts already expressed by others.

I trust that you will have better news next time we hear from you.

All the best to you and your family.

Kindest regards, artme.

Sturdee
18th October 2014, 10:11 PM
Amos, we only met the once but I'm so sad to hear of your cancer. As a fellow cancer sufferer, whose cancer has become active again, all I can say is keep fighting it and good luck as I'm thinking of you.

Personally I would keep the basics for a while for you may just beat it back in submission and turn the occasional pen.

Peter.

Perfect Pens
19th October 2014, 12:34 AM
Amos,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family mate!!

Tony.

JTTHECLOCKMAN
19th October 2014, 04:42 AM
Now Amos what does this mean??? I am not going to see any more photos of your pens that look like they were going to fall off the table:)??? I remember well when we use to have those conversations. Your work always was and still is an inspiration. Not knowing your situation and all, just do not be too quick to pull the triger on turning stuff. There was a fellow on another forum that did basically the same and he has since started feeling better and things slowed down. The problem was he sold off most of his stuff and was trying to buy some basics again because he missed turning pens. Wish you all the best.

PenTurner
19th October 2014, 10:36 AM
Thank you all for your kind thoughts, I would love to get better so I could frustrate JTT by a pen "falling off a table" photo,:):):D,
I think I have been here around 10 years or so, and have had so much enjoyment in reading, getting advice and being helped along the way; for me, it took nearly a year before I ever got a good result with CA!! I will always try to help a fellow turner, we are all travelling the same way, and if I have been able to help anyone along the way it has been a privilege.
I feel as if I should thank you each by name, and if God grants me strength and health, I will attempt to do so; your fellow turner. Amos:)
PS Peter Sturdee, God grant you good health, thanks, Amos:2tsup:

wheelinround
19th October 2014, 10:51 AM
Amos you have shared so much knowledge and wisdom amongst the forum your class of work is 2nd to none I thank you for the great tips and enjoyment you have given us all and I hope it will continue.

May your health improve and never give up fighting.

dazza3690
19th October 2014, 12:52 PM
Amos.

Never met you and most probably never will due to the distance, but have enjoyed your pictures, posts and humour. Keep our chin up and hang in there. Keep your tools for now as may help you the future.

Daren

Wood Collector
19th October 2014, 02:42 PM
Amos.
Hope you get better soon, your pens have inspired me to give it a try and to not give up on the first and second not so good ones. If you do sell off some blanks and pen kits I may be interested in them.My thoughts and prays are with you and your family. I wish I could meet you but the distance and completing school is a problem.
Best wishes WC

Big Shed
19th October 2014, 07:04 PM
Amos, very sad news, although I was aware that you had health problems.

I hope things will improve for you and Johanna and I wish you all the best with your fight against this horrible disease.

Please let me know if I can be of any help in whatever way, will give you a call before we come to Melbourne next time and see whether you are up for a visit.

Chin up mate, lots of people are thinking of you and I know you have a very loving family to support you.

gawdelpus
19th October 2014, 10:43 PM
Amos my friend ! sorry you are not at your best for the moment , we have spoken on many occasions and helped each other from time to time , Only you and close ones will know of your true state of affairs, I hope that there is a glimmer of hope in that tunnel you are facing :) Don't throw in the towel and stop being the person you are ,caring and sharing ,keep doing what you can as long as you can ,and you can do no more than that. If you have ever read Rudyard Kiplings "If" bring it to mind ,if not look it up on the web ,I have used this short poem at times in my life to give myself a needed kick up the proverbial hehe. The power of the mind is sometimes overlooked in health matters ,but positivity is a good medicine, not always easy but always worthwhile . I shall get Shontara to send you some healing ,you know the sorts of things I like to make ,if I can help out with taking some kits from you let me know . Be of good mind ,and try not to stress that does not help at all , all the best ~ John

Tiger
20th October 2014, 10:02 AM
Hi again Amos, I'm not too far away so anything that I can do please don't hesitate to ask.

Penpal
20th October 2014, 11:08 AM
Hi mate Wilma joins with me to wish you all the best with your challenge remembering three yrs ago she had two of the toughest cancers for woman my cancer too has grown and I await the knife etc,I was given 3 mths to live in 1985 same same my Doc always says I have had a good run. Please take care mate the best to you and your family.

Kind regards Peter and Wilma.:2tsup:

PenTurner
21st October 2014, 07:21 AM
Thanks once again to you all for words of encouragement. Amos:)

Tiger
21st October 2014, 09:21 AM
I visited Amos last night and will be putting some of the items he has for sale in the Market Place section as soon as I get a chance.

Sawdust Maker
21st October 2014, 09:59 AM
Amos

chin up
I'm sure you can beat this - if you mastered ca finishing you can do anything

our thoughts and prayers are with you

maddog 62
21st October 2014, 11:38 PM
AMOS
tho we have never met
the help you have given me and advice i have picked up from your posts here on the fourm has been invaluable
my thoughts are with you
all the best my friend
Tony

darrin1200
22nd October 2014, 12:08 AM
Amos. My best wishes are with you.

We've only just met and you inspirations have helped guide me. I hope you plan to stay on the forums, your knowledge is invaluable.

Don't be to quick to sell all, I think I know the gentleman Tim is refering to. He ran across a bad health stretch and decided to stop turning. His health has improved, and he is now buying back all the basics.

Cancer isn't the disease it once was, I hear everyday of someone pushing back.

Take care.

nicked74
17th November 2014, 04:49 PM
Hi Amos,
I am only a beginner but have enjoyed reading your advice and experiences on the forums for a long time before I joined the conversation.
I agree with darrin, keep fighting, God will give you strength and hope to see you back soon
Take care

Allan at Wallan
17th November 2014, 10:55 PM
Hi Amos,

I am saddened and shocked at reading of your plight and
hope that you are comforted by the many responses by
the Forum members.

I fondly remember the day your son drove you from Fern Tree Gully
to Wallan to gather suitable pinecones from my property. You
may remember you gave me a pen made from a pinecone and I
treasure it within my collection.

All the best mate.

Allan

MAPLEMAN
18th November 2014, 10:14 AM
I would like to convey my thoughts and prayers to you as well,Amos.The good work you do with pens for the troops doesn't go unnoticed! Hope your recovery is swift, and god willing that you are with this forum for many more years to come!All the very best mate...MM:2tsup:

Mobyturns
18th November 2014, 11:16 AM
we are all travelling the same way, and if I have been able to help anyone along the way it has been a privilege.

Amos:2tsup:

There is only one thing sure about this life - we will never get out of it alive. Amos I sincerely hope there are a few miles left in you yet as I love your out look on life. There should be more of fellows like you who are prepared to share their knowledge and help others. If we can make another's life a little richer then we have done good.

PenTurner
19th November 2014, 08:25 PM
My operation on the 27th Oct went ok, a large portion of bowel removed, now been in ReHab for almost two weeks. Thanks to all who have prayed and thought of me.
I have sold my metal lathe, and there is someone wanting to buy my casting equipment when I get out. I will keep some basic tools with the hope I get better, but will sell my Bandsaw and Bench Belt Sander, the last thing I will sell is my Laser Engraver, I really have enjoyed it.
Meanwhile, back at Rehab, progress seems slow, I should be out this weekend all being well, I will be just recuperating at home. Amos:):2tsup:

Ironwood
19th November 2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the update Amos.I am glad you are thinking of keeping some things for when you are getting better.Do you still have your pen lathe ? Or were you turning your pens on the metal lathe, I seem to recall you had a Vicmarc.

Treecycle
19th November 2014, 10:32 PM
Great to hear from you Amos. As you will be well aware, you are always in our hearts and minds wishing you all the best.

PenTurner
19th November 2014, 10:48 PM
Thank you again!, still have my VicMarc. Amos:)

Tiger
20th November 2014, 09:29 AM
Great to see you out of hospital Amos :).

Dorno
20th November 2014, 05:20 PM
I hope you are not going to disapear from us altogether ? because we will be sure to miss you and as for your knowlage well that speaks for itself you have helped me out on many many occasions so I wish you the best for the future

Cheers Ian

plantagenon
21st November 2014, 08:23 AM
I haven't been on here for a while and just read the news. I am sorry to hear you are suffering from bad health but glad to hear the operation went well. My cousin suffered from the same as you and made a good recovery after his operation, so keep your chin up mate. I really hopes it all goes well for you.

All the best.

Greg

Cliff Rogers
21st November 2014, 08:54 AM
I missed this thread up til now too, all I can say is 'bugger.'

Hope all goes well for you, my Dad had something similar 5 years ago & he is still with us.

Fingers crossed for you.

Christos
21st November 2014, 10:00 AM
Good to hear that you are recovering.

tdrumnut
21st November 2014, 11:03 AM
Just spotted this thread, and like everyone else I hope that you have a speedy recovery Amos. No battle is ever won without a fight and I am sure you have plenty of fight left. Stay strong mate and let us share the journey with you, for you are admired and respected by all on this forum.

All the best Trev

dazza3690
22nd November 2014, 12:51 AM
Amos, glad to hear you back home and hopefully getting your strength back. Also glad you're not getting rid of all your stuff as you will need it as you get on the mend.

Treecycle
28th February 2015, 10:14 PM
Anyone have an update on how Amos is going? I see he hasn't been on for a while, but hopefully that just means he has other things to do.

Tiger
6th March 2015, 04:35 PM
Anyone have an update on how Amos is going? I see he hasn't been on for a while, but hopefully that just means he has other things to do.
Went to see Amos about a month ago, he was moving around quite well and had a bit of energy about him, even engraved a few pens for me.

Big Shed
6th March 2015, 04:54 PM
I was in contact with Amos this week and he is making plans for the future.

Have done some casting for him and will be seeing him in the next couple of weeks.

Penpal
6th March 2015, 07:33 PM
Please convey my best regards when you see him mate I have cancer myself and my wife three years ago she is going well.

Kind regards Peter.:2tsup:

Big Shed
6th March 2015, 07:55 PM
Please convey my best regards when you see him mate I have cancer myself and my wife three years ago she is going well.

Kind regards Peter.:2tsup:

Will do Peter, and our thoughts go out to you as well. It is a hard road.

edblysard
17th March 2015, 09:07 AM
Been gone for awhile, (railroading does that to you sometimes) andjust got a chance to log on and catch up, and was surprised to see this thread.
Amos, glad to hear you are doing better,had me worried there....not all your fans and friends are just in OZ you know.
Big Shed, (Fred) when you visit him, let Amos know folks across the pond are thinking about him, and wishing him well.

Gerryattrick
18th March 2015, 06:44 AM
Amos,

I have never met you and probably never will given distance involved. Glad to hear that you seem to have come through the operation well and seem to be hanging in there....may it continue. I am just developing an interest in pen turning and other woodworking and it sound like you are the sort that the world needs to help people like me.

Best of luck with the recovery.

Alan

PenTurner
18th March 2015, 04:24 PM
Thanks Ed:2tsup:, and Jerryattrick,:2tsup:
Some days feel ok other days not so good, I keep plodding along,
I hope that I can get back to turning a pen in the future.
I only have my 14" Carbatec Bandsaw, and my Laser Engraver to sell now,
have kept the VicMarc VL100 Lathe in the hope of turning again in the future.
Did a big upgrade to the laser and it worked!!!:):oo:
I will attempt to post some old photos soon.
Amos:)

Treecycle
18th March 2015, 05:15 PM
Great to hear from you Amos. Fred gave me an update recently on how you were going.
Keep positive and hopefully we will see you come out the other end of this tunnel okay.

Ironwood
18th March 2015, 07:27 PM
Hey Amos, good to see you posting again, and thinking of the future.
Looking forward to seeing more of those old photos. Keep them coming Mate.

Redbog
18th March 2015, 09:27 PM
Thanks Ed:2tsup:, and Jerryattrick,:2tsup:
Some days feel ok other days not so good, I keep plodding along,
I hope that I can get back to turning a pen in the future.
I only have my 14" Carbatec Bandsaw, and my Laser Engraver to sell now,
have kept the VicMarc VL100 Lathe in the hope of turning again in the future.
Did a big upgrade to the laser and it worked!!!:):oo:
I will attempt to post some old photos soon.
Amos:)
Hi Amos,
No person from this gathering of Forum friends needs to battle alone. I am recovering from the big C myself and have respected, and read, your posts since I joined. I am now back at work, but located near to you at Wantirna. If you need a hand, an ear or a shoulder, send a PM, and I'll be round. I'm also battling along, but now pretty good, and hoping!
Cheers Amos, interesting trip, the big C, eh? Please don't hesitate if you would like a hand or a yarn, I'm just about next door.
Fraternal regards, Redbog, (Harry Taylor).

PenTurner
18th March 2015, 10:38 PM
Thanks Harry, appreciate your offer, and maybe meet up in near future. Glad you are on the improve, Amos:):2tsup:

darrin1200
18th March 2015, 11:21 PM
Hi Amos

Good to hear you. I'm glad your doing ok. Glad to see you have lots of support close to home, as well as some long distance good wishes.
Missed you in the pen swap this year. I did get connected with another great turner, David Mitchell. Keep that lathe handy, maybe we will get paired up next year.

Take care of yourself.

PenTurner
18th March 2015, 11:37 PM
Darrin, You spoilt me with your superb swap last year, this year I was not well enough, but hopefully there will be other opportunities. Amos:):2tsup: