PDA

View Full Version : Here 'tis

artme
18th October 2014, 09:47 PM
This is one of thirty 50th anniversary pens I have done for my High School reunion.

I must thank a number of fellow forumites for their help with this project.

I began with a very bad blurry image of the old high school badge which Grumpy John cleaned up for me and then Steaming Bill cleaned up even more. The final sharpening and colouring of the image was done by Kelcey at a local print business. Kelcey also printed he decals for me. My thanks also to Dorno who offered to help out if needed.

Finally dai sensae Neil who arrived here for a few days and gave me invaluable advice and assistance in finishing the job.

JTTHECLOCKMAN
19th October 2014, 04:45 AM
I thinks you forgot something sir.:D

artme
19th October 2014, 08:18 AM
I thinks you forgot something sir.:D

I have all sorts of trouble trying to attach photos!!:~:~:~

Didn't work again!!!

Neil has a photot and he will attach when he finds this!:B:B:B

dai sensei
19th October 2014, 10:32 AM
These are the photos of the pen that was finished and discussed here http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=188980.

We are all waiting for when all 30 are done :rolleyes:

Dorno
20th October 2014, 09:39 PM
Well Artme it is great to see that you got your pens done and I will freely admit that they look far better than anything that I could have done with that image you gave me ages ago and it looks like Dai Sensai turned up at the right time :D I hope the night goes well and I am sure the pens will be a huge success.

Cheers Ian

artme
21st October 2014, 08:08 AM
I forgot - how could I :doh::doh: - to thank Tony from Perfect Pens and Pencils for his patience and assistance. also Bruce haggie for the blanks and the slab from which I cut the red and green end.

Cheers fellas.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
21st October 2014, 10:03 AM
cool pen

Tiger
21st October 2014, 11:30 AM
Great work all round!

Christos
21st October 2014, 06:52 PM
Very nice

steamingbill
22nd October 2014, 10:01 AM
G'day Artme,

They turned out well. Nicely done.

Am interested in the creation of the decals. (strange word ....... is it short for something else ?)

Save me some googling and point me to any good web sites you know of for some further info ?

Am wondering about ways that might be used to transfer scales and measurements and words etc onto various things that I might make in future, different degrees of accuracy required for different jobs.

Bill

artme
22nd October 2014, 10:30 AM
G'day Bill.

There is plenty of info here in the forums about decals so you don't have to look far.

The lass who did the final touch up and printing of the decals just used an ordinary computer. She sized everything according to my instructions -with the mouse - and hey presto.

Laser printed onto clear decal sheets which, in this case, were on a pale blue cardboard background. A couple of coats of clear acrylic lacquer with drying time in between and you are ready to go. The decals were cut close to the outline, soaked in water and then slid onto the pen. You have plenty of time to move them into place and gently push out air bubbles.

We allowed plenty of time to dry and then Neil gave 6 fine coats of Nitrocellulose with his fine spray equipment.

I would use more acrylic lacquer next time and then finish with CA.

dai sensei
22nd October 2014, 11:33 AM
You have to be careful with decal types as some are just not suitable. What may be the best for printing is not necessarily the best for resins or CA. We tried to do a CA coating on these but they melted :o, with a bit of luck more acrylic spray coats may fix the problem but not sure, hence why we finished with NCL that didn't seem to effect them.

Been a while since I've done my own and I no longer have links to brands etc but I'm sure there are others here that can help

JTTHECLOCKMAN
22nd October 2014, 11:13 PM
Ahhh now we can see those beautiful pens. They did come out mighty fine. Good job on the team work. Decals can be a little tricky but these worked fine. Thanks for showing.

NCArcher
22nd October 2014, 11:22 PM
(strange word ....... is it short for something else ?)

Bill

The word is short for decalcomania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decalcomania), which is the English version of the French word décalcomanie.
The technique was invented by Simon François Ravenet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Fran%C3%A7ois_Ravenet), an engraver from France who later moved to England and perfected the process he called "décalquer" (which means to copy by tracing); it became widespread during the decal craze of the late 19th century.

Oh and the pens look great Art. :2tsup: