PDA

View Full Version : mortising kit for 46mm drill press

luv the blues
2nd July 2005, 06:02 PM
would love to purchase a mortising chisel kit for my drill press, but i am finding it very hard to find one to fit a 46mm collar..
woudl anyone know of an australian supplier that could help...hopefully with chisel included.
thanks

Groggy
2nd July 2005, 06:40 PM
would love to purchase a mortising chisel kit for my drill press, but i am finding it very hard to find one to fit a 46mm collar..
woudl anyone know of an australian supplier that could help...hopefully with chisel included.
thanksI would not recommend a drill press mortising kit - it is one of those things that just seems to be more trouble than it is worth. Trouble usually begins with getting them square, then keeping them square. Bits are usually cheap and nasty (but can be set up reasonably well with some work).

Some others will no doubt disagree with me, and they may well recommend the kit on offer from Carba-Tec for about $89, but I wouldn't want to waste the money. $89 would buy a few decent mortising chisels or be a good deposit on a more rugged machine that will cost around $500 (cheaper if you are lucky enough to find a second hand machine). If you are going to the WW show have a good browse around the machines there.

Again, that is just my opinion, and worth every cent you paid for it.

routermaniac
2nd July 2005, 07:55 PM
thanks
G'day

If you havent got many mortices to do, have you thought about one of those corner chisels? They are great, got myself one from Mcjing and have found it invaluable. You could diree most of the mortice out with a usual woodworking bit and just square the sides with the chisel, very easy!

If you have lots of mortices to do and own a router I would make Rockers (Davids) mortice jig, I am in the process of doing that at the moment, his plans which he provides on request are excellent and very easy to follow.

I do not own one of those attachments but I have been told they can be a PITA.

regards

Marios