PDA

View Full Version : Power Hacksaw or bandsaw?

ventureoverland
20th October 2014, 04:38 PM
I'm just starting to think I need some means of cutting bar stock other than my arm & hacksaw combo or angle grinder(!)

I'm thinking 4" 1045 steel will be about the biggest dia I would want to cut (I have 1 meter of it in the shed), more likely 3" dia and down.

So far I've thought about a horizontal bandsaw or a power hacksaw, or also possibly making a hacksaw attachment for the lathe.

Forgetting the making something or now, how good are power hacksaws for occasional use? I suspect a bandsaw is far more efficient but that probably only translates to speed and I won't be using it that often. Power hacksaws also seem to be a lot cheaper than a bandsaw.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks
J

Thx
Jon

rogerbaker
20th October 2014, 04:50 PM
I replaced my power hacksaw with a bandsaw primarily because of noise levels during the evening. The bandsaw is much quieter.
However you may have to spend a bit of time to get it to cut square.

Roger

Oldneweng
20th October 2014, 05:19 PM
This question has been posed at least once before to my knowledge. Try Google with the info provided in the "Search Function" thread and "power hacksaw" bandsaw as the search term. The qoute marks tells Google to only search for those words together in that order. It will first search for "power hacksaw" and bandsaw in the one document.

ie
"power hacksaw" bandsaw site:woodworkforums.com

I may be preaching to the converted here.

Dean

Oldneweng
20th October 2014, 06:31 PM
Most of the cheaper bandsaws do not come with the vertcal adjustment set correct and not only that, a lot (most, all?) don't have enough adjustment available to acheive this. There is only a little slop in the slides. I have seen mods where the slot was deepened and widened enough to put in grub screws to make this adjustment accurately. I would like to do this to my saw.

It all depends on whether you want to play around that much. It would be possible to file the slot enough to get sufficient movement to do the job. Once set it is unlikely to move.

Dean

Oldneweng
20th October 2014, 07:18 PM
I added an adjustment screw to the side of each guide, they do work but the slot is already too wide and allows the guide to move sideways rather than pivot. Two diagonally opposed screws on each guide may work, but that's one of those 'gunna' jobs.

The guide on the motor end of my saw is adjusted vertical, but the other one will not move enough. Yep. Another 'gunna' job.

I just realised where you live. Not too far south from me. About 90km. I lived in the Mount for a number of years before moving North. We still have a daughter and 2 grandkids there.

Dean

pippin88
20th October 2014, 07:58 PM
I've got a bandsaw and find being able to use it in the vertical orientation is great for cutting out profiles.
It's a bit off square, but I haven't really tried to adjust it as yet.

ventureoverland
20th October 2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys... General consensus would perhaps be a power hacksaw...

I'll do some googling around, but could anyone suggest a good quality brand that I should be looking out for?

Thx
J

DSEL74
20th October 2014, 09:33 PM
I have a powerhack saw and i love the old gal, but boy is she slow. It cuts with a pretty good finish and very square. There is an auto cut off switch so if you have time set it up for a cut and go off and do something else, then slow cutting isn't an issue. On the other hand if you have a batch to do and you are waiting on the cut piece to get on with your project it's like watching paint dry. A bandsaw is much quicker.

There is a third option of an abrasive cut off saw ( Basically a giant angle grinder wheel in a machine similar to a drop saw).

KBs PensNmore
20th October 2014, 09:43 PM
I received info on how to set the band saw to cut square from Independent Saw Works, now retired. To set it up square was to file the slots out on the verticals so that the blade ran true, some require this mod some don't, it should only take 2-3 cuts to get this right, no need for grub screws or anything else. I leave the horizontal guides set to the maximum width, as changing this will alter your setting. The vise is set to the blade, I've fitted a rolled pin to keep it set, to change angles I either cut with a mitre block set in the saw or freehand in the vertical position. The other important thing is that the side support bearings are not to tight, as this will curve the blade, just a couple of thou clearance is all that is required, these are adjusted on a cam arrangement turning a bolt head, a very narrow spanner is required, I had to grind the sides down so that it would fit in. MEW ran some tips on some mods. that make using the saw easier to use, cutting odd shaped and small pieces
When I get myself a decent camera, I'll endeavour to put up a pictorial how to.
Kryn

Michael G
20th October 2014, 10:12 PM
I have a small bandsaw - I think it is great and far more compact and faster than a power hacksaw.
I would love to have it cut square all the time but depending on blade and adjustment sometimes it will but most times it won't quite. However, it doesn't worry me overly much as most times I'm cutting off material that I'm going to be machining anyway. The other task is cutting up stuff for welding. Again it would be nice to have square but I can live with (and fill) any small gap. If you want spot on square all the time then buy a cold saw (brobo or similar). Don't complain when the blade needs sharpening or replacing though...

Michael

simonl
21st October 2014, 05:30 PM
Hi Jon, I asked pretty much the same question a couple of years ago. See here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=170832&highlight=Power+Hacksaws+V%27s+Bandsaws I ended up buying a S/H bandsaw for $200 and totally stripped and rebuilt it - with some help from Michael G! It is now one of my most used items in the shed. It's not much to look at but geez it can cut some stock.... and I'm still using the blade it came with plus another I bought new (Bimetal M42 blade). It was made in 1969 and, like all machines back then was made to last several lifetimes. It has also been adjusted to cut very straight and square but this can be affected if you try to cut too quickly with the downfeed. Cheers, Simon

matthew_g
21st October 2014, 08:28 PM
It just so happens that I have a LOTZ power hacksaw for sale.
If your interested I will take a pic or 2 for you.....

Matt

steran50
21st October 2014, 08:46 PM
HI,
Personally I would buy a Power Hacksaw if you are going to cut up to 4" in Diameter. Or if you wanted a Bandsaw go for at least a Hafco BS-7L in size.

matthew_g
21st October 2014, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys... General consensus would perhaps be a power hacksaw...

I'll do some googling around, but could anyone suggest a good quality brand that I should be looking out for?

Thx
J

I have replied to your PM Jon.:2tsup:

Matt

bosox
22nd October 2014, 08:01 AM
I never had a power hack saw but I have a band saw in my shop and I mostly use it for most cutting work from cutting angle, bars, stainless steel to small structurals.