PDA

View Full Version : Another dai sensei collaboration!

artme
22nd October 2014, 12:01 AM
This is my ARRRRRRRRGH bowl. Photos courtesy of Neil.

I managed to turn this completely before Neil turned up, except for the bottom. I had intended to use the club's Cole's jaws to finish it off but Neil volunteered to show me a method that required the use of a face plate, some non slip mat and the tailstock. Most interesting!!

The final finishing of the bottom was done with a sanding disc in my cordless drill.

Finish is Shellawax and then Shellawax cream.

I don't know the exact species but it is a eucalypt. Grain is pretty special and it was much appreciated as a gift by some friends in Brisbane.

I have other part turned pieces in the pipeline and when they are finished I want to start on some more creative work.

mick59wests
22nd October 2014, 08:55 PM
beautiful grain and nice bowl
cheers
Mick

Willy Nelson
22nd October 2014, 09:39 PM
Good effort there mate, turning out bowls and also teaching Neil to turn, commendable :wink::wink:
Willy

Big A
24th October 2014, 10:54 AM
Nice bowl, artme. I pricked my ears up when you mentioned Eucalyptus, as I work with it a bit and like the grain and variation. (And that is such a lovely soft wood to work!)

I had to look back at my Work in Progress thread to see how it compared in shape to the bowl I did there and I see that yours is different, so you are not getting any dig-ins about "brake drums" as I did.

It looks good, and you and the recipients are satisfied with it - that is what does it for me.

Cheers,
Alister.

Bluegum
24th October 2014, 11:42 AM
Looks great artme. Fantastic grain in it as well. Awesome.:2tsup: