PDA

View Full Version : Steam bending.

RETIRED
19th June 2001, 11:45 PM
Asked by Harry:

Can anyone give advise on the best Australian timber for steam bending. I intend to use 2-8mm??? thin strips and handkerchief sized sheets and bend them to form half spheres of 200mm diameter and less if possible. Also can wood withstand the heat of a standard lightbulb without either warping or catching fire?

[This message has been edited by (edited 19 June 2001).]

Iain
20th June 2001, 08:22 AM
I have never attempted to bend anything this size but when it come to the globe to use, I would suggest that 40w is not exceeded as this is what is use on most bedside lights with a flammable type material, ie paper or fabric. Bear in mind that these also have ventilation by way of a hole or some type of vent in the top.
It is going to get warm within the confines of a semisphere, something like a hot air balloon and I would imagine that with some judicious laminating and crossing of grain directions that warping could be minimised.
When refering to the fire hazard potential bear in mind the type of finish you will apply.

Harry
21st June 2001, 10:38 AM
Thanks Ian, considering who makes this great site possible could you advise on a non-flamable finish for desklamps?

ubeaut
22nd June 2001, 12:05 AM
I would be wary of oil finishes which will give the timber a fantastic translucence but unfortunately may also be a fire hazard as many do not dry for a long time.

Most waxes will soften and in the worst case scenario may even drip.

Shellac, especially the white type would be pretty good as it should give the translucence of the oil, but dries to a non flammable finish.

However as Doorstop wisely says, the most flammable part will probably be the timber, especially if it is very thin. You will need lots of clearance from the globe and plenty of ventilation.

If the aim is to mainly show off the beauty of the timber then a 25 watt globe should be fine.

I seem to recall that Sydney Yellow Gum has a pretty good reputation as being a great bending timber. However it is possible that most of the harder Australian eucalypts, etc. would bend easily if cut correctly and thinly enough. Most would almost curl themselves up into a ball with little or no help from you.

You would probably do best with green timber.

Get some and give it a try.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Harry
22nd June 2001, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all your help. It looks like I'm going to have to use the old trial and error method before I launch into production. Better say a few hail marys now. I'll let you know how I go.

Jeff
25th June 2001, 10:00 PM
I DON'T GET IT! HOW AND WHY DO YOU WANT TO BEND STEAM?