PDA

View Full Version : Free Brown and Sharpe milling machine, Sydney.

Metalman
26th October 2014, 08:57 PM
A friends father (ex toolmaker) has a Brown and Sharpe No1 Vertical Spindle Milling Machine available for the cost of taking it. It works but has not been used for many years and has surface rust (see pics) but I suspect it would be a good machine once cleaned up. Spindle is Int. 40, Motor is 3 phase with a mechanical speed control. Table is approx. 800mm long. Overall height of machine is approx. 1900mm. There will be some tooling with the machine. It is HEAVY and situated in a garage at the back of a two car (nose to tail) car port that does not have a large amount of headroom and has a downward sloping surface. This machine will require a few people with the right equipment to move it safely. It is raised on rollers (pipes)and electrically disconnected.
I would like it myself but it is too big for my situation, so I have been asked to help with the disposal. The first person to PM me can have it, I will return a PM to the first and second people. The machine is located in Western Sydney, further details and arrangements would be by PM.
It would be nice to see a restoration thread on the machine in the forum but this is not a condition of the acquisition.

Metalman (Phillip)

Freefall1
26th October 2014, 09:27 PM
Just wondering is it still available ?

Thanks

Metalman
27th October 2014, 08:19 AM
I have had two people raise there hand for the mill and I have sent them a PM. At this stage no further enquiries please.
Mm.

PDW
27th October 2014, 08:27 AM
Interesting looking old machine but I very strongly doubt that it's a 40 taper spindle. There doesn't look like anywhere near enough diameter.

PDW

bollie7
27th October 2014, 09:05 AM
It looks more like a jig borer than a mill to me. In another life I had an Elliot mini jig borer and the head on that was very similar to this one here.
bollie7

Metalman
27th October 2014, 10:46 AM
Interesting looking old machine but I very strongly doubt that it's a 40 taper spindle. There doesn't look like anywhere near enough diameter.

PDW

Hello Peter, I thought the same as you, I suspect it has been converted to a 40 taper to get away from the difficult to obtain B&S tapers.
The attached picture shows one of my 30 tapers on the left and the large series Clarkson collet holder (shown in the pictures) 329276 on the right.

Bollie 7.
The manufacturer description and model is: No. 1 VSMM (No. 1 Vertical Spindle Milling Machine). It has both a knee action and a substantial spindle.

Regards, Mm.

PDW
27th October 2014, 11:52 AM
Hello Peter, I thought the same as you, I suspect it has been converted to a 40 taper to get away from the difficult to obtain B&S tapers.
The attached picture shows one of my 30 tapers on the left and the large series Clarkson collet holder (shown in the pictures) 329276 on the right.

Bollie 7.
The manufacturer description and model is: No. 1 VSMM (No. 1 Vertical Spindle Milling Machine). It has both a knee action and a substantial spindle.

Regards, Mm.

OK, I'm wrong - that's definitely an ISO taper and bigger than 30, so 40 it is. I think you're right and it has been converted. As long as it's done well, the bearings are good and spindle runout is minimal, that has to be an improvement. I wouldn't be using a big face cutter with a deep DOC and aggressive feed, though, just in case.

Definitely an interesting machine so I hope it goes to a good home where it will be appreciated. I'm pondering reducing my old iron tonnage myself.

PDW

wheelinround
27th October 2014, 01:17 PM
What a great gesture :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Lets hope who ever score it does a WiP restoration so we can drool:U