PDA

View Full Version : Brad Point Drill Bits.

Captain Chaos
2nd July 2005, 10:41 PM
G'day,
Does any one know if it is possible to purchase either an 29/64" or 11.5mm brad point drill bit? I'm trying my hand at pen making & have purchased a pair of Cat. Pen-JR-R pen kits & require this size drill bit for the tube.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Barry.

martrix
2nd July 2005, 10:50 PM
Hi Barry, don't know where in particular apart from the usual outlets, but if you get yourself a 3mm thick grinding wheel for your bench grinder, you can grind the brad point yourself in any normal drill bit. Does the drill bit need to be particularly long?

Captain Chaos
2nd July 2005, 11:17 PM
Hello Matrix,I've checked in the Carba-Tec catalogue & also had a look in Bunnies & Mitre 10 & could only find 11.0mm & 12.0mm bits. It looks like I'll be grinding my own drills as you suggested. I've just got to track down a 3mm grinding wheel now. That should be fun. A Monday job there I reckon.
Thanks for your feedback Matrix.
Regards,
Barry.

Ian007
2nd July 2005, 11:31 PM
Why does it need to be brad point?
why not just use a normal drill bit and clear it often?

Cheers Ian :)

Captain Chaos
2nd July 2005, 11:48 PM
Hello Ian, I will have a go with an ordinary drill bit. It was suggested to me to use a brad point drill bit by a person who has made a fair few pens as opposed to me, score- 0. This is my first attempt at pen turning so anything could happen. :-)
Thanks for your help Ian
Regards,
Barry

martrix
2nd July 2005, 11:51 PM
Why does it need to be brad point?
why not just use a normal drill bit and clear it often?

Cheers Ian :)
Brad point drill bits are more accurate and tend to stay on course much more than a normal drill bit, that's why they are used for dowellinghttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Babytoolman
3rd July 2005, 12:20 AM
Hi Chaos,

I use a standard drill bit for these pens. It works fine here is a picture of mine.

What did you pay for yours? I was wondering if they have dropped in price. I like these pens and some people are really interested in buying them but they are a bit pricey. Can get them for 9.90 US dollars.

Regards

Roger

Captain Chaos
3rd July 2005, 12:37 AM
Hello Rodger, That is a very nice pen. What is the wood? Looks like silky oak.
I'll have a go with a standard drill bit & see what happens. Should be ok if I go steady. I Paid $25.00 for the ballpoint pen & $35.00 for the fountain pen - gasp - ooohh, I feel weak , perhaps I'll sit down. :-()
What is the price landed in Australia. It would still be better than local prices eh?
Regards,
Barry.

Ian007
3rd July 2005, 09:43 AM
Brad point drill bits are more accurate and tend to stay on course much more than a normal drill bit, that's why they are used for dowellinghttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Having made, given away and sold hundreds of pens I dont beleive for a second that it matters what type of drill bit you use for drilling pen blanks.
having said that i should point out that i make sure mine are sharp, held in a vise and drilled on the drill press.

cheers Ian :)

barryr
13th July 2005, 06:29 PM
Mik international on Magill Rd have sets with 3mm to 13mm in 0.5mm incriments advertised in their catalogue , not sure if they have them in singles but you could ring them on 08 8363 4666 .

Captain Chaos
13th July 2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks Barry, good name that eh? I'll give them a call asap & see if they have them in stock. Failing that I've found out that Lee Valley In Canada have the 29/64" brad point bits sold individually.
Many thanks,
Barry. (Chaos)