PDA

View Full Version : trip hammer

Marc
27th October 2014, 02:37 PM
Anyone here owns a little giant or similar trip hammer?

GJM
27th October 2014, 05:50 PM
I have a Hattersley and Davidson hammer. It doesn't get much use these days due to other commitments, but it certainly moves some metal. Geoff

AndrewOC
27th October 2014, 10:02 PM
Why the interest, Marc?
I have an Aussie clone of a LG and another version of spring hammer. Both are shagged; I reckon spring hammers are probably the most self-destructive of power hammers.
Have you come across the latest incarnation of the American 'Tire-Hammer'?
http://www.anvilfire.com/power/building_X1-power-hammer.php
Looks very interesting.
cheers,
AndrewOC

Marc
28th October 2014, 07:02 AM
Yes seen that one, "home made" too much work for my liking.
As far as the 50lb little giant or even the 25, I was thinking is the only size of power hammer I could have in my shop.
As far as self destructing, they go for 100 years with some maintenance as far as I know. Will certainly outlast any of the chinese air hammers.

Having said that, I never used one.

anglesmith
28th October 2014, 09:07 PM
I have a 25lb spring hammer (20 yrs) which is about to be replaced by a 25 KG self contained Anyang hammer, when it arrives in a shipment of 22 in December over 40 (from 9 to 75 KGs ) will have been sold in Australia this year! Check out Anyang Hammers Australia on face book. The Agent is a Industrial trained smith of 35+ years standing.
Graeme

Ueee
29th October 2014, 12:14 PM
Not only that Bruce is looking to get some rolling mills made, a very good option where noise from hammers is a problem.

Ew

Marc
29th October 2014, 08:52 PM
I read what those who use those chinese hammer say about them and it is very discouraging.

What about an "iron kiss" hammer?

MrSmith
30th October 2014, 08:09 PM
Hello Ueee,

Thanks for the plug on the rolling mills, I have orders for three at the moment, two are finished and just need painting.

Cheers,

Bruce

Marc
30th October 2014, 09:56 PM
Bruce, as the importer of the hammers I am sure you have nothing but good things to say about them. Fortunately for the consumer the internet is a good source of information and I have to say that I read a lot of praise from those selling them but a lot of grief from those who use them. Those places that have a good rep that goes out of his way to fix the problems seem to be happy, others not so lucky. Personally I prefer to use a machine that comes out of the factory 100%...or buy a second hand trip hammer for 1/4 of the price.

Ueee
31st October 2014, 12:10 AM
Hello Ueee,

Thanks for the plug on the rolling mills, I have orders for three at the moment, two are finished and just need painting.

Cheers,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
No worries, glad to hear you have some orders.

Marc, you may wait a long time and pay a lot for a 2nd hand hammer and i can tell you now the control you have with the Anyangs is amazing, you can be so soft and gentle or aggressive with them. The only downside i saw with Karim's (Tharwa valley forge) was the lights flickering and the shed floor shaking....

Ew

rob streeper
31st October 2014, 01:52 PM
Anyone here owns a little giant or similar trip hammer?

I have a 25Lb. Little Giant.

Marc
2nd November 2014, 06:17 PM
I have a 25Lb. Little Giant.

Thank you Rob, how do you find it? Does it need a lot of fixing?

rob streeper
2nd November 2014, 09:40 PM
Thank you Rob, how do you find it? Does it need a lot of fixing?

I found mine through an Internet classified advertisement. Mine was and is in excellent, fully restored condition. It has the older frame with integral sow block. Little Giants are robust machines but they do take a lot of lubrication, i.e. many oil points that need tending on about an hourly basis when in use. The oil of course also attracts dirt, making the Little Giant a fairly dirty machine to use.

Marc
3rd November 2014, 05:44 AM
I found mine through an Internet classified advertisement. Mine was and is in excellent, fully restored condition. It has the older frame with integral sow block. Little Giants are robust machines but they do take a lot of lubrication, i.e. many oil points that need tending on about an hourly basis when in use. The oil of course also attracts dirt, making the Little Giant a fairly dirty machine to use.
I see, can I ask what did you pay for it and how long ago?

rob streeper
3rd November 2014, 07:42 AM
I see, can I ask what did you pay for it and how long ago?

I've had it about 3.5 years. I paid just over $3K for the hammer and about $500 shipping for a transit of about 1800 miles. Lately though the 25's are trading at $4-5k.

Marc
3rd November 2014, 10:52 AM
Ever considered one of those that need a separate compressor like the big blue hammer or the iron kiss?

rob streeper
3rd November 2014, 11:18 AM
Ever considered one of those that need a separate compressor like the big blue hammer or the iron kiss?

I don't have a compressor big enough to run one, yet that is.